Cataract Oars help needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2013   #1

San Francisco, California
Cataract Oars help needed

Hi, fellow buzzers,
I am thinking of getting a new set of oars for my 15'6" AIRE boat. I have loved sawyer MF with ash blades. But, want to try something different this time. For those who have rowed with SGG or SGX, could you shed some insight as to which one you prefer? I know that SGG will flex quite a bit more than sawyer. SGX may be similar to sawyer composite. But, I only have experience with sawyers. It seems like everyone who runs SGG is pretty happy. Will SGX be too stiff?

Now for the blades, I am looking at Razor as an option, but am concerned about durability. Magnums tend to be brittle and break easily. Will Razor blades have the same issue? Some say these composite blades are not designed for whitewater, but I can't see the reasoning.

I will most likely go with counterbalance and rope wrap version as that's what I am used to. Thanks in advance for beta on cataract.

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by verendus View Post
Now for the blades, I am looking at Razor as an option, but am concerned about durability. Magnums tend to be brittle and break easily. Will Razor blades have the same issue? Some say these composite blades are not designed for whitewater, but I can't see the reasoning.
I bought Razors in 2009 and have had no problems. The blades are very light and the thin profile cuts the water. They are tougher than they look. I hung up an oar on a wall in Mule Creek and severely bent a blade, but there was no damage. The plastic film with the graghics has peeled off but the blades, but the blades are otherwise in good shape. Cataract made a bad batch a couple of years ago but they replaced the defective blades.
Old 05-16-2013   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I run SGGs w/ 8" blades on a 15' NRS. I like the big bite of the blades and the flex sort of gives a slingshot feel when I crank on them. But they are what I'm used to so going from wood to something that is way more gumby might be a little freaky. Also I weigh 250 so they may not flex as much for someone lower on the BMI scale.
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013   #4

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
i used to run smokers back in the day but back then it was either wooden or carlisles.

when my friends started to switch to the newer options that started to arrive, most went with the SGG's because they had the flex that was more like the wooden oars that we loved. they went with the magnum blades because they floated most like a wooden oar, also.

i finally switched over, too.

yes the magnums will shark bite or split but smokers break under, more or less, the same abuse, and at over $300 + oversize shipping it was getting too expensive to run them any more (for my budget). it's cheaper to replace a blade than an oar and worth it to me to have one that floats well.

i've stuck with them (magnums) since then and really have no knowledge about any of the newer blades. there may be some newer, better ones that float well now.

the shafts have been bomber. i've had them over 10 years. will probably last forever. i love them.

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #5

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
I came into the rowing game later in life (200 and went with SGG shafts. I've been completely happy with the way they feel, row, their strength, and their easy maintenance (once a year spray with marine spar varnish). After starting with Magnum blades and having all of them crack or get shark bit, I switched to Sawyer Dynelite blades and haven't looked back! Super strong, nice feel, nice balance, much lighter than Magnums, and no cracks or breaks despite lots of hits and low water trips.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #6

For those who run sawyer blades with cataract shaft, how do you compensate the length difference between the two brands? Cats are 27" and sawyers are 30". That means my best bet would be to go with 9.5' shaft to make it 9'9" with sawyer? I currently run 10'.
Old 05-16-2013   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
For my 14 foot raft, I had been running 9' 6" foot oars using Magnum blades, now they are 9' 9" with Sawyer blades. The 3" difference isn't a big deal to me, and can be easily compensated for with minor oarlock tweaking if need be.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
For those who run sawyer blades with cataract shaft, how do you compensate the length difference between the two brands? Cats are 27" and sawyers are 30". That means my best bet would be to go with 9.5' shaft to make it 9'9" with sawyer? I currently run 10'.
I just enjoy they stronger pull they give me.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Hi, fellow buzzers,
I am thinking of getting a new set of oars for my 15'6" AIRE boat. I have loved sawyer MF with ash blades. But, want to try something different this time. For those who have rowed with SGG or SGX, could you shed some insight as to which one you prefer? I know that SGG will flex quite a bit more than sawyer. SGX may be similar to sawyer composite. But, I only have experience with sawyers. It seems like everyone who runs SGG is pretty happy. Will SGX be too stiff?

I will most likely go with counterbalance and rope wrap version as that's what I am used to. Thanks in advance for beta on cataract.
Owned both and currently run Sgx. Sgx limits your color selection to blue (harder to spot if you ever lose them). Really thought yellow was the bomb color. Don't have the river miles to say Sgx stiffness matters, they are both nicer and lighter than carlisles.

I have pics of me running Sgg on my cat. Tremendous amt of flex. This is energy stored in your stroke and released at the end of it.
Old 05-16-2013   #10

Ok, ordered a set of 3 yellow SGGs with counterbalace and rope wrap option. Backcountry gave me a pretty good deal with free shipping. I went with 9.5' for a change, and with Ash Pro-V that will put them right at 9'9". Perfect for my 70" frame.

Now for the color, I really wanted black, but thought of being able to spot them in the water swayed me to go for the yellow. Plus, my boat is yellow.

Tags
cataract