Cataract Canyon Video(s) - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2017   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Cataract Canyon Video(s)

For anyone who wasn't able to get out on the river this summer (or did and already miss it) I thought I'd share my videos from my July 21-24 Cataract Canyon trip.

Big Drops Only:

Full Video (Warning 16 minutes long):

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2017   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks for the videos-
I'm going in two weeks, did you see any camps around Dark canyon that would fit ~8 people?
debruins22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #3

Farmington, Utah
We had 9 guys and had planned to camp near the Dark Canyon area (or anywhere in the last 10-15 miles) but the lake level is as high as it has been in 10 years (an outward bound group told us). This meant that everything was covered in thorns and tamarisk. We ended up motoring through the dark all the way to the take out until 11:30pm. It was kind of cool, but we were all tired an hungry. The lake may be lower in a couple of weeks. The outward bound guy said to check the past record of camp registration at the entrance above the rapids to see where the commercial groups have camped. That's your best bet to get a site that is functional.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for sharing the video. I'm curious to learn more about what type of oar lock you have -- I've never seen one like it. Also, the oar stands seem to be a lot less burly than I'm used to seeing -- guess they've held up ok?
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Thanks for the pics. Makes me wonder why I still haven't been down Cat. I've done all the other big canyon trips. Maybe next summer.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017   #6

Farmington, Utah
My uncle gave me the cataraft. I have no idea where he got the oarlocks, but I really like them. Regarding the towers, they appear less burley, but because there are 4 bars for it each forming a triangle it seems to hold up really well. My uncle also built the frame, so I can't speak too much to the specs.
Old 08-12-2017   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Thanky you.

Very nice videos, I enjoyed them very much. It's been awhile sense I've been down Cataract Canyon, nice to see it again.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017   #8

Lander, Wyoming
Post pic of your orange rig

I am interested to see what your rig looks like, can you post a pic?
cowboy907 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017   #9

Farmington, Utah
Rig(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy907 View Post
I am interested to see what your rig looks like, can you post a pic?
If you check the photo album in my profile there are some photos of it there.

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon