Cataract Canyon Motor Question?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2017   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Cataract Canyon Motor Question??

I'm planning an October Cataract trip and I am a total newb in regards to motors and rafts. I'm planning on bringing a motor on this upcoming trip. Any buzzard advice on motor types, horsepower, gas, electric? I'll have a mount. Does anyone know about motor rental options? I usually wouldn't do a motor other than we want to hit a bunch of the side hikes on a five day trip.

I appreciate any info.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
I usually go big. 150hp Honda is my go-to, only problem is nobody on the river works on them, so make sure you have all your maintenance done at home.
fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #3

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Always at least one smart-ass answer. Do a search though, there are lots of threads on this.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwater15 View Post
Always at least one smart-ass answer. Do a search though, there are lots of threads on this.
I'm glad at someone had a smart ass comment. I wouldn't expect any less. Yeah, I did a search. Some of the comments were all over the board and were old. I was hoping for some fresh comments. Seems like the Honda 2HP with the plastic blade was pretty bomber and pushes as good as some 4 - 5HP motors. Lightweight and can lay on its side. Rental options I guess was the main question. I've called a few boat rental outfits and they don't rent motors without the boat.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #5

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
I just ran a cat trip with a motor for the first time. We averaged about 4.8mph (one guy brought a gps) with a 6hp 2-stroke motor. The 2-stroke was nice because we were easily able to pull the fuel line, burn the fuel in the engine until it stopped, and then store the motor on its side.

We used about 8 gallons motoring for all the flat water. We just got a used motor for a few hundred bucks and had it tuned up. The only issue we had (not sure if anyone else has experienced this) but it would shut down after it got really hot. I'm not sure if it was a cooling issue because of the sediment in the river, but we eventually took the cover off and it ran great after that (just really loud).

We tried to get our boats as much in a straight line as possible to help with surface drag. The only other thing we did was to run the motor just under full throttle because you use less fuel and don't give up a meaningful amount of speed that way.

Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2017   #6
Water obligate

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I used a 3hp air-cooled motor for this trip and it did fine for an NRS E160 raft with my family of 4. However, it was a bit of a pain because it had a small, integrated gas tank that I had to keep stopping to refill. Something that runs off a larger, separate tank would definitely be preferable.

One other thing to keep in mind - adding a motor to your raft means you need to register it as a motorized vessel. I got a warning on the river for not having done so.
dardusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #7

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Registration and Fire Extinguisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardusius View Post
One other thing to keep in mind - adding a motor to your raft means you need to register it as a motorized vessel. I got a warning on the river for not having done so.
Good point. I did this, but because all my gear was given to me from family from the last 20+ years and never was registered the DMV was a little stingy about proof of ownership.

Also, it isn't on the permit (that I saw at least) but motorized rigs need a fire extinguisher.
Old 08-10-2017   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Motored a flotilla of 6 boats out last fall with a single old 6hp Evinrude. Worked great. Make sure you've got a spare prop, pull cord, rebuild parts, etc. We had two 5gal fuel cans and just swapped the connection over when the first got low.

Give some thought to where you'll want to fit the thing when you're not using it. We had ours wrapped up in burlap and in someones nose bag until it was needed.
giegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
I'm glad at someone had a smart ass comment. I wouldn't expect any less. Yeah, I did a search. Some of the comments were all over the board and were old.
But what makes you think us jackasses have gotten any more specific or concise?

Be as prepared as possible to work on the thing, have all the tools you need, some spare parts for things that tend to break. Know when to stop tinkering and enjoy the scenery.
Old 08-10-2017   #10

Slc, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjarnold8 View Post

Also, it isn't on the permit (that I saw at least) but motorized rigs need a fire extinguisher.
In utah it's recommended but not required for boats with an outboard setup. At least that's how I understand it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170810-211932_1502421738141.png
Views:	167
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	21346  
Jiggyjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon