CATARACT CANYON at 45K - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2016   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
CATARACT CANYON at 45K

Can't swing a Cataract Trip this year, really bummed. Been looking at the old videos so that at least I get the adrenaline flowing...while sitting at my desk. . Here are some videos of the last two years both mid 40's. One has an Oar boat the right way... and the wrong way and the other has a paddle boat running Froggies Hole in BD3.

https://youtu.be/vOYkarsbDjg

https://youtu.be/yJaXPqFotS8

TUNACAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016   #2

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for the stoke! Watched them both and got the blood flowing at my desk.
Managan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
You bet. It's what gets me through the day when I know the water is high and I'm at a desk!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Were you in one of the boats that flipped? How was the swim? I can't say I'd love to go through the Claw and Satan's gut as a swimmer...but the video made it look not too bad (no long dark water filled portions after the initial flip).

I got invited on a trip...but due to one day of work on the day of the putin I can't make it. I definitely want to do it again (I've run early early spring when it was 8-12k cfs max) but probably not gonna make it till later in the summer.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Were you in one of the boats that flipped? How was the swim? I can't say I'd love to go through the Claw and Satan's gut as a swimmer...but the video made it look not too bad (no long dark water filled portions after the initial flip).

I got invited on a trip...but due to one day of work on the day of the putin I can't make it. I definitely want to do it again (I've run early early spring when it was 8-12k cfs max) but probably not gonna make it till later in the summer.
Luckily, I haven't flipped YET down there. In 2014 we had 3 oar boats, I got through and the one flipped in the claw (on the video) and the other flipped in the ledge wave. Last year I ran a paddleboat with 2 other oar boats. Both Oar Boats flipped so we spent the next 3 miles trying to get the Oar boats into an eddy. Always good times down there and at High water it definitely gives a serious adrenaline rush. When I guided down there above 45K we would say you have about a 40% chance of getting through without flipping. If those waves happen to build and break right on you and you aren't PERFECTLY lined up, you go over pretty quick.

The Swim's don't look bad, but the person with the go pro had a hold of the boat. He said when he hit Satans gut, if he wasn't holding onto the line on the boat, he thinks he would have been under for much longer.
Old 06-02-2016   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNACAT View Post
He said when he hit Satans gut, if he wasn't holding onto the line on the boat, he thinks he would have been under for much longer.
That occured to me for sure...I noticed they had a firm grip on the boat the whole time. Not to self....do the same if I ever flip in there.

There are a few videos of the Big Drops that make Satan's Gut look horrible. The first boat went through and I was like "that doesn't look too bad" and then they disappeared suddenly from view and you never saw them for the rest of the video.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Rest assured the swim sucks.

That was a really nice line in that paddle boat.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
Rest assured the swim sucks.

That was a really nice line in that paddle boat.
Yea, pretty much the only line through Froggies. 6" to the left and we would have likely flipped. I have to admit I just about soiled myself when I saw how big that hole was.

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon