Catalytic LP heater in tent - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-16-2015   #1

North Creek, New York
Paddling Since: 1997
Catalytic LP heater in tent

Has anyone used one of these RV type catalytic heaters in a tent? My tent has roof ventilation that would release condensation and the tank could be easily routed outside the tent. I have a battery powered CO detector I would bring along. I have this one, but have not used it yet:
Camco Wave 3 Catalytic LP Heater
Thanks for your input.
-Nate

natepelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have never used something like that. I would worry most about fire if it got knocked over than anything else. I think it would be great for a cook tent/clothes drying/floorless tent that was not being slept in. I use Grabber mega 12 hour warmers one per night in the winter and have never failed to stay toasty.
Old 01-16-2015   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I have used the Mr.Heater Buddy and Big Buddy in a Westfalia, 10X10 Popup and a Safari van. I do vent and have a CO2 monitor. For in the tent use, a small butane or propane single mantle lantern works great, but it is a flame in a tent. For in bag warmth, boil water, put in Nalgeen bottle and place bottle in your sleeping bag.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1993
Don't do it - it ain't worth the potential issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
MonsterSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015   #5
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I use a big buddy in a tent, no problems. just make sure you have a space for it, and that you have an air source. it has a low oxygen shut off built in, so no real worries. but I don't run it all night, just a bit before bed, toss a warm water bottle in the bag. and when I bed down I turn it off. Fire it up in the morning and let it warm up before I crawl out of the bag. That way I can get dressed without the cold shock.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Hi Nate,

I use a big buddy in my cabin which is about the size of a huge tent. They recommend you keep the large lp tank outside the environment, for me that meant leaving a 1" crack in the patio door.

I woke up the next morning warm and refreshed. No issues with the catalytic as long as you have enough oxygen, which you would in a tent ...

Lou
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #7

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got the buddy heater and it puts off plenty of heat to easily heat a tent, but I notice it also puts off quite a bit off moisture. How does this affect the tent?
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
just an opinion on this type heaters

I used to live in Utah.

Lots of hunting in the Wasatch area. I was one of them.

Every fall the newspapers would have long atricles warning about the use of portable Catalytic type heaters in campers not coming with approved heating systems. People would go to sleep and never wake up.

Every year I was there some number of people who died from catalytic heaters in enclosed spaces.

If a person decides to use catalytic heaters in any enclosed space, please understand the risks.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #9

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
my understanding is they don't produce much CO, which will kill (as I think it tricks the blood into attaching to it but doensnt release to the cells), but through the catalytic action they do require and thus remove O2 , which can also kill (which anyone who has ever suffocated a fire knows).

here is my source material
https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Media/Docume...3-June-1-2003/

a small camper can probably be made to be pretty airtight. I doubt if your tent is.

So if your tent is airtight, you will have to crack an opening for some outside air flow to get into it. (that is if it doesn't have any venting)

I would say if you can hold up the tent fabric to your mouth and breath through it, it would probably pass enough oxygen to keep you from suffocating.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I would say if you can hold up the tent fabric to your mouth and breath through it, it would probably pass enough oxygen to keep you from suffocating.[/QUOTE]

The key word in this post is PROBABLY, not a real confidence builder. I agree with a earlier post to turn off before getting in the rack and turning on in am to get the tent toasty.