Cat/raft material questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-23-2011   #1
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Cat/raft material questions

OK, so I have always seen cats and raft trailered and stored partially inflated. Reciently, I was a guy roll an NRS boat up really tight. My questions is: Is it ok to roll NRS boats like that in the long run? What about Sotar, Aire, ect. I know maravia's don't like to be rolled. But if I wanted a boat that can be stored in a small place are NRS boats the way??

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
OK, so I have always seen cats and raft trailered and stored partially inflated. Reciently, I was a guy roll an NRS boat up really tight. My questions is: Is it ok to roll NRS boats like that in the long run? What about Sotar, Aire, ect. I know maravia's don't like to be rolled. But if I wanted a boat that can be stored in a small place are NRS boats the way??
Hypalon is more flexible and results in a tighter, smaller roll. I know many, many folks who roll hypalon every fall. I also fold up my Maravia every year with no problems. The material is stiffer so it's more of a fold wherever the material wants to fold.

Since my big trailer is kind of down right now, I actually fold my Maravia after every use.

Cats with separate tubes and multiple, multiple straps to attach are more time consuming to set up, hence why most regular cat boaters inflate and leave set up.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #3

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
As long as the cat/raft is fairly clean rolling and storing is the way most folks & guide co. I know keep their boats over the winter, NRS/ Sotar/ Hyside, no problems ever noted.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We rolled our NRS when we had it, now both the sotars stay inflated.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #5
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
OK, so all the big name boats are designed to be folded/rolled. Some just roll easier due to faberic. So, a friend just said that the trade off is fexability vs stiffness. He says stiff boats punch holes better and flexable boats go over crashing waves better?? Any truth to this???
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sounds more like your friend is referring to the amount of pressure in the tubes rather than the fabric. Regardless of fabric, check your pressure and keep it properly inflated.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #7

I think your friend is right. The material itself makes a difference in the handling properties of the boat. Tracking, punching, rolling over a wave. Both have their pros and cons versus what you are using it for.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #8

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
OK, so all the big name boats are designed to be folded/rolled. Some just roll easier due to faberic. So, a friend just said that the trade off is fexability vs stiffness. He says stiff boats punch holes better and flexable boats go over crashing waves better?? Any truth to this???
Indeed. I trained on Wings, which are extremely stiff boats, and I remember the first time I was in a big Avon I got a big kick out of the "rollercoaster" feel to it as it slunk over waves. It's not just a matter of how tight your boat is inflated, the material and design make a huge difference in the way the boat moves. Just pros and cons- both types of boats are fun. Stiff boats are fast, maneuverable, and punch through things, while more pliable ones are better for surfing and give you a nice ride.
kmcanoeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #9

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
While the amount of inflation will change the ride, another factor is the rocker on the front of the boat, the width & how much wt is in the boat, that's something you'll have to just try out to see what you like. NRS tends to have a higher rocker than a Sotar.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote