Carlisle Cracking - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2012   #1

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Carlisle Cracking

This last weekend I noticed one of my Carlisle oars had some cracking in the plastic covering on the shaft. The cracks are perpendicular to the length of the oar and some you can get your fingernail in. Has anyone had any experience with this? The oar has an aluminum tubing center so I'm guessing it's still structurally sound. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand8272 View Post
This last weekend I noticed one of my Carlisle oars had some cracking in the plastic covering on the shaft. The cracks are perpendicular to the length of the oar and some you can get your fingernail in. Has anyone had any experience with this? The oar has an aluminum tubing center so I'm guessing it's still structurally sound. Any thoughts?
Seen it countless times. I wouldn't own a Carlisle oar and haven't for over 15 years. The only way to fix them is to toss them into the trash and start over with a premium line of oars.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Ditto. Common problem after a few years exposure.

You might want to remove and replace with roll on bedliner material. Never tried it just a thought.

Your oar rights are designed for the diameter of the plastic not the aluminum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012   #4

Centennial, Colorado
My buddy has some that are probably close to 20 years old and they are cracked to hell all up and down the entire length of the shaft. They still work fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
Seen it countless times. I wouldn't own a Carlisle oar and haven't for over 15 years. The only way to fix them is to toss them into the trash and start over with a premium line of oars.
If you are going to throw away perfectly good Carlisles because the plastic is cracking please let me know what dumpster you are using.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Duck tape can fix all your problems.
fishpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
If you are going to throw away perfectly good Carlisles because the plastic is cracking please let me know what dumpster you are using.
The biggest reason I'd throw them out or donate them (you) or a worthy charity, is because they suck. You will bend or break them in situations that occasionally come up in class III+.
They are entry level oars, from my experience.
Old 04-10-2012   #8

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
The biggest reason I'd throw them out or donate them (you) or a worthy charity, is because they suck. You will bend or break them in situations that occasionally come up in class III+.
They are entry level oars, from my experience.
Carlisle oars have been the backbone of oar rigs for decades. Funny how something that still works should be thrown away because it isn't cute anymore.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #9
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I have freinds who use them and let me tell you on some it would be better called a chasm. I upgraded last year but use my carlises for spares (its nice having 2) try the bed liner and let us now how it goes
Old 04-10-2012   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
Carlisle oars have been the backbone of oar rigs for decades. Funny how something that still works should be thrown away because it isn't cute anymore.
Well, I was being a little dramatic. However, they may get you down the river, but I don't trust them--had too many sketchy experiences, including broken/bent shafts. I have yet to break a cataract shaft or blade--although I've had shark bites a couple of times. So, it's not about cuteness and all about an opinion, which is worth .02 and that may be overly inflated.

Tags
carlisle