Carb to Westbank - Roaring Fork Ramp Conditions - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-11-2014   #1

denver, Colorado
Carb to Westbank - Roaring Fork Ramp Conditions

It looks like there is going to be a break in the weather with lows for the next 5 days in the 38 to 42 degree range in Carbondale. I have been itching for a window in the weather to make my maiden voyage in the new raft (14' Hyside with DRE fishing frame).

This will be a fly fishing focused trip. I will probably have an open spot for another fisherman and will be coming from Denver if anyone is interested. Probably shooting for Sunday. Be warned, I am a newby on the oars, and this is a maiden voyage.

Does anyone know if the ramps have been plowed? I have been told the river is in good shape, and not too boney right now, but the condition of the ramps, particularly at Westbank, are unknown. I am hoping to find out some more info before I drive all the way from Denver.

I would also love to have an experienced oarsman in the boat with me that doesn't mind giving some pointers. Is this a bad idea? The river is pretty mild through there, and I have floated it with a guide, but I am new to the oars and want to get as much practice in as I can before the rivers start going up. Current flows in Glenwood are 471.

Any help would be appreciated, was planning on staying in Glenwood in a cheap hotel Saturday night, and getting on the water mid-morning. How long is the float at these flows?

Thanks in advance!

gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014   #2

denver, Colorado
Just got off the phone with CPW. The nice woman I talked to said she would talk to her supervisor and get back to me, but that they were gonna work to get them cleared, and call me back when they know more. I will let everyone know what I find out.
Old 02-11-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would totally be down, but am heading to Crested Butte Thursday-Sunday.
climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014   #4

denver, Colorado
I have got myself so amped up to go, if CPW calls me back and confirms Westbank is clear, I am gonna go. I am sure I can find someone to come. If the forecast pulls through, the weather will be perfect...high of 50, partly cloudy in Carbondale Fri, Sat, and Sun.
Old 02-11-2014   #5

denver, Colorado
Just heard back from CPW....they are not going to be plowing Westbank. I am not familiar with that takeout...how hard would it be to drag a raft out of there? How far is it and could you pull it up with a rope?

Disappointed to hear they are not maintaining the boat ramp for one of the only floatable sections of river in CO.
Old 02-11-2014   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You can float to 2 Rivers Park in Glenwood
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #7

denver, Colorado
How much farther is that? Distance and Time? Thanks
Old 02-11-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The ramp is about 1/4 mile below confluence w/ Colorado. Now that I think about it, I'm not remembering the precise locale of West Bank, so I can't say for sure. But Carbondale to 2 Rivers is a day trip regardless, we're talking a few miles and an hour more?
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #9

denver, Colorado
Thanks Step. I am on my phone, but would really like to get a time estimate. I can always launch an hour earlier.

Any rapids or items to worry about in the section below westbank? Again, assume I want very low risk on this first trip.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2014   #10

Golden, Colorado
Westbank is about 4 miles down. If I recall, Two Rivers is about 6 miles below that. Cemetery rapid seems like it is about 1/2 way?? between. Not a rapid but if I remember there is kind of a chute you have to hit below the airport as you come into GW. How much snow is there? If you can put in at Carbondale and get back out I would think you could get in at Westbank? It probably is more in the shade though. Maybe call Charm and get a shuttle if it's doable? 440 is a decent flow- raft should be no problem- probably can see some of my favorite rocks I have marked with my Hyde at about that flow.
OldFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote