Captain's Boxes - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2013   #1

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Captain's Boxes

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some custom captain's boxes. I currently run a drop floor from my NRS frame with two rocket boxes lashed to it. I am considering having the boxes built with tabs to hang off the frame and ditch the drop floor. I will still be holding it to the frame with straps.

Does anyone run captains boxes in a raft without a drop floor? Any thoughts or concerns? How do you run your straps to hold it to the frame and reduce lateral slide?

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013   #2

Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some custom captain's boxes. I currently run a drop floor from my NRS frame with two rocket boxes lashed to it. I am considering having the boxes built with tabs to hang off the frame and ditch the drop floor. I will still be holding it to the frame with straps.

Does anyone run captains boxes in a raft without a drop floor? Any thoughts or concerns? How do you run your straps to hold it to the frame and reduce lateral slide?
Yeah I run two captains boxes without a drop floor. Got mine from Cy at cambridge welding. He put two metal flanges on the ends so it sits on the frame. The flange has a slot in the middle which allows you to strap a small 2ft cam strap on each side, eliminating any lateral movement. I love my set up and I love my captains boxes. So nice to get into for easy access.
Old 04-14-2013   #3

Tigard, Oregon
Thanks, 6FEETandRISING. If you have a chance can you post a photo of the flange? Is there anything you would do different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013   #4

Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
No, I don't think I would really change anything. It can be kind of difficult to get the strap off that is toward the cooler when the cooler is in place. If you were trying to take the captains box up to the kitchen or something. But I never remove them while on the trip so this isn't a problem. You can see the hole for the strap in the metal flange in the photo. Mine are just like this except I had him install a gray diamond pattern foam on top of all my boxes, way better than the black ethafoam and doesn't get full of sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0224-20C.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	6002  
Old 04-14-2013   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Nice thanks, I am looking at a slightly different design and these will be used as kitchen boxes, so I will take care to make sure I can work around the cooler and drybox which are hanging on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drybox_05_500.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	6005  
Old 04-15-2013   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Boxes

Recretec (Timmy) made my capt boxes and put a slotted tab on each end. I am completely happy 4 years later. I did swap out the lid retention wire with a strap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	6007  
swimteam101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #7
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Just ordered captains boxes with my new frame, mine have a quick lock base plate. Canyon is building them onto my frame. They are at my feet for my partner 2 burner stove, and other misc gear. Its a very cool system so i dont need straps. I hate messing with straps and i wont have a drop floor

They have a set of display boxes for 195.00 each depending on what size you need. Mine are a bit more,getting them painted to match my frame.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #8

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Here is how I roll, love this setup. My brother made my drop bag and I ordered two knockoff pelican cases for 60 bucks a piece and mounted them to my frame rails. Havent flipped with this setup but cases have proved to be waterproof so far. Take a look, I have sold a few people on this set up, I just store a 4 foot camstrap in each case to wrap around when running the big stuff.

_-44 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
riverjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjunky View Post
Here is how I roll, love this setup. My brother made my drop bag and I ordered two knockoff pelican cases for 60 bucks a piece and mounted them to my frame rails. Havent flipped with this setup but cases have proved to be waterproof so far. Take a look, I have sold a few people on this set up, I just store a 4 foot camstrap in each case to wrap around when running the big stuff.

_-44 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Which is the Captain's box?
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #10

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
stay with the drop floor, it's so nice to be able to crush beers in your world.
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote