Cancelling MFS Permit, July 24th Launch - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2015   #1

GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
Cancelling MFS Permit, July 24th Launch

I will be cancelling a Middle Fork Salmon permit for July24th. I plan on doing it tonight (July 13th). It kills me to have to give this one up but I hope one of you Buzzards can pick it up and put it to use. I had to pull the trigger on this trip last night and wanted to get it available asap. Good luck my friends.
Mark

AirEms is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015   #2

GF, Montana
Just did put in the cancel, sorry it took me so long, so it should be up for grabs soon. Also cancelled a reserved camp spot at boundary for Thursday night the 23rd. Good luck my friends.
Old 07-15-2015   #3

GF, Montana
The 24th is up on the rec.gov site. Please, somebody pick it up and use it. It killed me to have to cancel and since I had to cancel inside the 21 day period I can't get a MFS in my name for 3 years now! Don't let this one go to waste!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
MF Permit

I don't believe that the 3 year ban applies for low water cancellations, but I am not sure what the cut-off is. I'm also not sure if it applies to the level on the day you cancelled or the level on the day of your launch. Something to check into, but other buzzards might know more about this than me.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #5

GF, Montana
Argo, thanks for the info. I will check into it although dealing with the .gov I'm sure it will not come out in my favor. The water levels and logistics with the group just did not work out this time around. Oh well, that's how it goes. If anybody has experience with this 3 year ban on late cancel permits I would love to hear the out come! I'm glad to see that the permit got taken and I hope that they have a great trip!
Old 07-15-2015   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I think the only way you get the 3-year ban is for a no-show. Could be wrong but thought that's what the regs said. I think you just forfeit most of your money inside the 21 day window.
Old 07-15-2015   #7

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
I think the only way you get the 3-year ban is for a no-show. Could be wrong but thought that's what the regs said. I think you just forfeit most of your money inside the 21 day window.
A cancellation of less than 21 days triggers the same "no-show" ban/penalty according to the regs:

Quote:
Cancellation policy

Please note that this reservation is not transferable (exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for medical or special circumstances; call the Middle Fork District office if you have questions about your situation).
If you cannot make the trip, you must always provide a cancellation to the reservation system; no exceptions. Cancellations should be entered at the recreation.gov as soon as possible, but have to be received no later than 21 days prior to your launch date.
There will be no exceptions to the 21-day cancellation requirements during normal water flows. When water levels exceed 5.0 feet, or if the road to Boundary Creek is not open, the time requirements may be waived, but a cancellation must always be submitted.
When submitting your cancellation, please go to your existing reservation with recreation.gov and follow the instructions.
Failure to provide timely cancellation will trigger a no-show penalty. No-show status restricts you from holding a permit on this river for three years.
Whether or not they actually enforce that reg? Who knows.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #8

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm pretty sure I accidentally pulled a main salmon no-show MANY years ago when I drew a simultaneous MFS permit. Still pulled a main salmon permit the next year. I think it is honor system. Or it was. maybe the computers are smarter. I do recall an exception above 5' as posted. Not sure about low water.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote