Can My Little Brother Handle the Grand Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 12-25-2013   #1

Steamboat, 80487
Can My Little Brother Handle the Grand Canyon?

When I got my grand canyon acceptance letter, the first person I thought about was taking along my little brother. We haven't spent much time together over the past few years and I thought this would be a great way for us to spend some quality time together. Now that I'm thinking about it more, I'm skeptical on taking him.

My brother doesn't have much camping experience. If he does, its probably a handful of car camping trips. He's also never been rafting. As a pretty well versed outdoorsman myself, I was pretty exhausted and ready for home after my first 5 day raft trip. Thinking in the best interest of my brother, I wonder how he will do on an 18 day grand trip....

Do I have any veteran boaters out there willing to shed some experience down to me? Can anybody share some stories?

boatshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Humans are very adaptable. If he wants to go, do it!
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Treat him like anyone else you would be introducing to that enviornment and rafting. Take him on a short trip like 3 days on Ruby and West Water and give him a taste before your Grand trip and let him decide if 18 days plus travel sounds like fun.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013   #4

cedar city, Utah
How old is your little brother? What shape is he in? Does he enjoy car camping (which is pretty much what raft camping is)? How does he handle being dirty, sandy and hot most of the time? Etc, etc, etc.

Beyond him I would consider the others you are inviting and how they will adapt to a relative newbie. Most river folks are more than welcoming to such people. But it also depends on what you want to the trip experience to be about.

Is it possible.....most definitely! Should you? You know him better than anyone else. The Grand and most multi-day river trips can be great experiences for folks if they know what the are getting into. Also know (depending on age) that he can always hike in or out at Phantom if the entire 18 days is just too much for him. Its not a 50/50 split on length but it does give some options. Rafting lends itself to providing a myriad of conveniences to compensate for many needs and desires.

And the trip is spectacular and life changing.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I think the sum of the group will have a great impact on wether you will have success in taking him or not. If you have a group that otherwise is known to be self sufficient, and you have a good relationship with your brother, I'd invite him.
If you need every person in their group to pull their own weight, and your relationship is strained, I probably wouldn't. It could jeopardize the relationships you have built with the rest of your group, if they end up viewing him as a liability.
You have to remember, bad things can happen on any trip, and he needs to be able to respond and help. We had two broaches with our gear barge and witnessed two medivac rescues (both from guided trips) and the private trip that launched after us had a multitude of flips with the smallest raft in their group.
I've heard of some married couples getting so mad at one another that one of them almost walked out at Phantom ranch. I'm not a brother, but I could see a sketchy relationship with a family member get tested also.
Those are things to think about. Honestly, it's a once in a lifetime trip for most of us, so you would be offering him a gift that he wouldn't be able to fully appreciate until your feet hit the ground at the end. I went when I was 16, and I am about to turn 35. I am just starting to think applying for myself. (My Dad applies for the middle fork every year, and I get nervous and excited when the drawing comes up. No luck yet!)
It is a once in a lifetime trip, and stories will be made either way.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
How old is your little brother? What shape is he in? Does he enjoy car camping (which is pretty much what raft camping is)? How does he handle being dirty, sandy and hot most of the time? Etc, etc, etc.

Beyond him I would consider the others you are inviting and how they will adapt to a relative newbie. Most river folks are more than welcoming to such people. But it also depends on what you want to the trip experience to be about.

Is it possible.....most definitely! Should you? You know him better than anyone else. The Grand and most multi-day river trips can be great experiences for folks if they know what the are getting into. Also know (depending on age) that he can always hike in or out at Phantom if the entire 18 days is just too much for him. Its not a 50/50 split on length but it does give some options. Rafting lends itself to providing a myriad of conveniences to compensate for many needs and desires.

And the trip is spectacular and life changing.

Phillip
Very well said.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshredder View Post
When I got my grand canyon acceptance letter, the first person I thought about was taking along my little brother. We haven't spent much time together over the past few years and I thought this would be a great way for us to spend some quality time together.
If you and your brother haven't spent much time together this could go either way.....great bonding time, and wonderful experience....or trip from hell, with you guys never speaking again. When is your GC trip? Can you get him on a river for a weekend to see how he likes it and how he responds to the demands that wilderness travel brings? Maybe invite him and a few of your friends to see how he does and how the vibe is with your friends. I haven't done a GC trip (yet), but I've done a lot of 1-2 week trips, and I know that a good group dynamic is key to a successful trip. If your GC group are folks who are happy, helpful, and like to share their love of the river with others it will go a long way to making his trip a good one. We've taken lots of newbies on week long trips, and 95% have absolutely loved it, and can't wait to go again. The 5% who weren't totally loving it still had a good time, and were fun to have along.
Old 12-25-2013   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Some one mentioned Ruby Horsethief and Westwater Canyon. A great way to introduce your brother to raft based camping and a taste of rapids as well. You can easily make this into a 3 or even 4 day trip. Make decisions after that.

My take on the Grand Canyon is most of the time it treats newbies very well on the water with the big issues being living in sand, hot sun and wind for an extended period of time. On the other hand I have seen the Grand Canyon even to experienced boaters turn what should have been easy thing to do into life threatening. Don't get me wrong here, the GC is magical and if there is a natural DisneyLand type wonderful place, GC might be it. Unlike DisneyLand if something does go wrong help may not be as fast as a 911 call to the local fire department at home. But, help is usually there if the trip is prepared for it.

I hope you two can make the trip as any GC trip will be talked about for many many years between you two.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #9

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I would take him on a pre trip trip, 18 days is a long time for someone's first trip with limited outdoor or boating experience. 18 days is also a long time to be with someone that might not know what to expect and be 100% up for such a journey.
Old 12-26-2013   #10

Hi,

Lots of variables here, but Treemanji said it in a nutshell.

Do some shorter trial runs to size up his adapatability to the physical conditions, and then let him tell you how he feels about fitting into the river/camp routines.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote