Camping in Fort Collins - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
Camping in Fort Collins

We're taking the swift water rescue course next weekend in Ft fun with Campy and RMA. Anybody recommend a good cheap place that's close to lay out a bag or tent for my wife and me?
Thanks
Jon

jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Head up to Roosevelt national forest. If you want a campground the closest is Ansel Watrous. It is less than a thirty minute drive from RMA and on the river. If you want free head up to Pingree Park road for lots of dispersed camping. Its 25 miles up the canyon. Or there is the KOA if you don't care about scenery or smells which is a couple minute drive from RMA. There are also a lot of bridges in town you could camp with the transients under.
almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Thanks, I think we'll pass up the last option as it might get crowded! Any places you'd recommend leaving a tent up during the memorial day weekend and not having people mess with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Totally failed to consider memorial day weekend. Ansel Watrous is full. Some campgrounds a little farther up are reservable and some are first come first serve so I would check rec.gov or the NatFo website. The canyon will be mobbed.
I'm comfortable leaving a tent in the campgrounds or dispersed camping areas up the canyon unsupervised during the day, but wouldn't leave anything of value/pawnability while away. Its kind of necessary if you want to keep a spot multiple days. You will probably see some river folk posted up in the Pingree area.
Whatever you choose, get up there as early as possible Friday (better yet thursday) to stake a claim.
almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #5

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
You could try Horsetooth Reservoir, although I don't know how much they charge. Still better than the KOA in my opinion.

Campgrounds
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Horsetooth was full, ended up getting a cheap hotel room for two nights, had to make it cheap as the course for both of us is pricey!
Thanks if anyone has better idea, two nights is $120
If someone has a better plan, I'm all ears!
Old 05-21-2017   #7

Fort Collins
You could also try dispersed near red feather...it is a ways out, but may work out for you. There is a road that connects over to rustic for getting up and down poudre canyon. It will get pretty crowded up there too though.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 05-21-2017   #8

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
For future reference there is a free app Avenza maps, this app allows you to type in any national forest and get the motor vehicle user map, this shows all forest service roads in the area and were you are allowed to disperse camp,pretty nice when traveling and camping.
Critter70 is online now   Reply With Quote