BV to Wilderness Aware - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2018   #1

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
BV to Wilderness Aware

looking for 411 on Buena Vista to Johnson Village on the Ark. Anything to look out for? Have run everything from railroad bridge to salida but this run. Google maps shows some sort of diversion dam/fish ladder thingy mid way. Is this that new play wave I heard about a few years ago? Wasn't there a issue with rafts flipping in a man made hole here or was it fixed?

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018   #2

Errywhere, Colorado
What you saw on Google maps is called the boat shoot. It is steep and shallow and unfriendly, but runnable. The normal line is right at the top and an aggressive move left after you clear the ramp itself. You can scout/portage river right

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There was once a really sketchy diversion dam there but it was rebuilt by a consortium of agencies and realized to be a nasty hole maker, then it was promptly rebuilt so as not to be a hazard. That was a few years ago. I asked AHRA about this and got the following reply yesterday:

Quote:
At most flows below 4k it's section appropriate, if that makes sense. At low flows it's easy class II, as the water comes up it becomes class III like the other rapids and whitewater park features. Above 4k it gets big and there's a good sized unavoidable hole a the bottom of the last drop.
I'm looking forward to boating that stretch this year! The river below the diversion to WAO is some sweet Class II-III boogie water.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I r1'd that section last year in my 14' bucket boat...pretty easy run just got the play park and boat chute from what i remember. I wanted a little excitement before taking my wife and her girlfriends on a float on the section below.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandan View Post
What you saw on Google maps is called the boat shoot. It is steep and shallow and unfriendly, but runnable. The normal line is right at the top and an aggressive move left after you clear the ramp itself. You can scout/portage river right
What he saw is called "Silver Bullet"..... "boat chute" is a very non specific name and could apply to the low head dam outside Salida, the head of the ditch between the Gorge and Canon City, or the new feature to be built this year at the Granite Dam.

Silver Bullet is not a class II at any flow. The left side is class IV and the right side is class III. It becomes more difficult at high flows (like most rapids) because there is a mess of boulders immediately below the chute necessitating a move to the left. At the end of the boulder field is a class III move the AHRA call "Rookie Hole".

The feature has been rebuilt several times over the last few years, but the current design seems to be working well, and there is a well defined and well signed scout/portage trail on the right.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote