Busted - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2015   #1

Park City, Utah
Busted

Just got off the Green River AB section below the dam. Sheriff motioned us in at Little Hole ramp and cited me for not wearing my PFD. Stupid me took it off 5 minutes before. Looking around he could have cited a half dozen more.

My bad, but better contact Daggett County before they put out an APB.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
I personally feel like anything can happen at any time, doesn't matter what kind of water you're on. I wear my PFD and my helmet through almost anything that isn't completely flat. Otherwise you're just asking for it. I don't think it matters whether or not you'll get busted by the man; safety is the most important aspect of boating.
If you had safety on your mind, maybe you wouldn't have been ticketed.
Old 08-04-2015   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The Nanny state is alive and well. Sig Heil.

To be honest while I think wearing a PFD is a good idea, I personally don't a lot as well. Trying harder these days to set a good example for the mini-mes. Getting a ticket for not wearing a PFD??? What a giant load of BS.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
The Nanny state is alive and well. Sig Heil.
+1 except I would say it is getting MUCH stronger. Comrade.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Carvedog- Nanny state... maybe, sig heil...hardly. I know that everyone thinks they know better, but everyone happens to enjoy many benefits of the 'nanny' state. Forcing companies to not dump toxic chemicals in our rivers, wear seatbelts, not shit and pee at the campsites on our rivers, and yes wear pfd's. This past summer has seen the deaths of many on our rivers, and pfd's have saved the lives of many more. Everyone is all gung ho about personal rights until they need help or rescue when the shit hits the fan. Without the regulations there would be way more deaths of both boaters and rescuers who put their lives on the line. Yes, it can go too far, but that is the price we pay to live in any civilized society. Just one old farts opinion.
Old 08-04-2015   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
I think they also have a sign after Red Creek telling you it's ok to take your PFD off...

Maybe part of the reason I feel strongly about wearing your PFD, and even your helmet in most scenarios is because I'm used to being in a kayak. I think being in a raft gives you a false sense of comfort, kinda similar to being in a large pick up or SUV and not feeling the need to put on your seat belt, whereas if you're in a little shit box sedan your seat belt goes on before you even turn the ignition key.
Old 08-04-2015   #7

Park City, Utah
I definitely should have had it on, for the safety that @soggy mentions, and for the positive influence on my kids.

Chalking this up to an easy lesson learned.
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
Forcing companies to not dump toxic chemicals in our rivers, wear seatbelts, not shit and pee at the campsites on our rivers, and yes wear pfd's. This past summer has seen the deaths of many on our rivers, and pfd's have saved the lives of many more. Everyone is all gung ho about personal rights until they need help or rescue when the shit hits the fan. Without the regulations there would be way more deaths of both boaters and rescuers who put their lives on the line. Yes, it can go too far, but that is the price we pay to live in any civilized society. Just one old farts opinion.
It is a form of fascism that everyone must comply. To me wearing a PFD or a helmet when I motorcycle is a personal decision that affects no one else but me. If not wearing a PFD makes me 20 seconds slower coming to someone's rescue in a group situation then that group may decide to not boat with me. I take responsibility for the personal decisions that affect me.

Your rationale is what is the driving force behind the 'war on drugs' - it's better for society. What bullshit.

And the examples you cite of pollution and degrading the environment affect everyone. That is why I don't shit in the river or in camp. I am actually getting pretty fed up with what passes for civilized society these days. Brainwashed robots that lack critical thinking and personal responsibility trying to tell me how to exist in my own personal life where my decisions affect no one else but me.

It actually seems to me that almost every fatal incident I heard of this spring the victim had a PFD on. It didn't seem to help much.

I am not against PFDs and wear one most of the time. I just don't want to be forced to or fined if I don't. Thank God they don't do that in Idaho.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Seems like if the cop really wanted to be a jerk, he would have ticketed everyone else that wasn't wearing their PFDs, huh? Sounds like he made his point but it could've been a lot worse for everyone. Did anyone have a beer in hand as well and not get nailed for open container?

Bummed you were the one he made an example of, Spigot, but it sounds like you realize you were in the wrong and owned up to it.

And yes, I'm one of those sissies that wear my PFD even where it's not required.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #10

Searching for water....., Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
To me wearing a PFD or a helmet when I motorcycle is a personal decision that affects no one else but me.
I strongly disagree. You are more likely to need help/rescued without the proper gear and that puts others in danger.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote