Mountain Buzz banner

Bucket vs Rigid for Bringing the dog

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sparks1000 
#1 ·
Hello just wondering if I can get some input on a dog in a bucket boat and how they do for the most part? Looking at a Avon bucket boat raft, would be for myself and dog (A few friends for a day float or fish trip) Mainly to take down the Yellowstone or Stillwater up in MT. Just wondering how they handle it and how the flooring handles them VS a self Bailer with rigid floor or if there’s some sort of insert people have placed in a bucket boat to kind of give them a flooring. Thanks!

#2 ·
I can't give you any direct feedback on the floor type other than to say that my dogs are never on the floor anyway. They always ride on the stack, or the cooler, or the front passenger seat...anywhere but the floor :)

You could make a beaver tail out of plywood and hang it. Cheap and fast.

#5 ·

To be fair, he wanted to come anywhere. But as Scooby Doo taught us all he was a bit chicken too. He wasn't fond of the squishy bucket boat floor that older Avon's have. (and I added closed cell foam pads under him too) It gave under him just standing in the boat. And just when he thought it was safe it bucked from below too sometimes... It wasn't any better for him than you in a bucket boat and we agreed that we wanted a floor and a self bailer. Imagine standing in a raft with no way to hold on even through class 2 wave trains.

YMMV
Make sure they want to be there and have a CFD that fits and is secure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.