Bucket boats and drop rails? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2019   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Bucket boats and drop rails?

Anyone running drop boats running drop rails on their frame? Did it tighten up the floor like I think it would? Did it improve performance in any way?

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019   #2

Calgary, Alberta
Oops... bucket boats.
Old 09-10-2019   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
This might be a dumb question........what is a drop rail?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019   #4

I think it's rails that drop down inside the tubes. Running parallel to the side tubes. Like for a cat tube.
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019   #5

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I think it's rails that drop down inside the tubes. Running parallel to the side tubes. Like for a cat tube.
Exactly what I mean. Not sure if I used the correct terminology.
Old 11-01-2019   #6

Clatskanie, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I rowed a 15' Rogue Inflatables bucket boat for many years, I sold it a couple of years ago but it's still floating Oregon rivers and it was made in '83. It had solid drop floor, Willies R&D frame with full skidguard floor. It had 2" foam under the solid floor to keep the bucket floor from getting pinched from below. Pretty easy to get it stuck if you ran out of draft but it rowed as well or better than my new 156R - as long as you can keep it mostly dry inside.
Let it fill with water and you were no longer in control.
jnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Assuming you aren't already running coolers and boxes that keep the sides from coming in, it will help. They do give a nice spot to attach a captains floor so it isn't swinging around. I don't think you'll really notice performance enhancements. This is a guy who grew up running the taco machine Miwok bucket boat.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Assuming you aren't already running coolers and boxes that keep the sides from coming in, it will help. They do give a nice spot to attach a captains floor so it isn't swinging around. I don't think you'll really notice performance enhancements. This is a guy who grew up running the taco machine Miwok bucket boat.
Thanks for the input.

My cooler is a prospector 103 which is a tight fit in my 13' footer but obviously way to narrow to push the tubes apart on the 16' footer.

The floor is so floppy in the big boat without the thwarts and I did a dry land test with the thwarts in and the push the tubes out more than 3", which I was a little surprised at!

I was hoping that would make the boat track a bit better and have less vertical movement of the floor in regards to not pinching against my hanging gear... but I think I'll try the rails even if all I get is a little extra gear capacity, and a place to try a captain's bay floor.
Old 11-02-2019   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If your boxes aren't pushing the tubes out you'll notice its a stiffer boat; less give with each stroke. The drop rails aren't going to hurt and a nice solid captains floor, while definitely a hazard should you high center, is real nice.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #10

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
If your boxes aren't pushing the tubes out you'll notice its a stiffer boat; less give with each stroke. The drop rails aren't going to hurt and a nice solid captains floor, while definitely a hazard should you high center, is real nice.
This boat is for my growing family and won't be used on more than class I or II for a while, so a high center is unlikely on the rivers it will be on.