Bucket Boat Floor Removal ?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-01-2012   #1

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Bucket Boat Floor Removal ??

Hi -
I have a little bucket boat and am getting tired of bailing.

I was thinking of cutting the floor out and just running a oar frame all the time. Basically, turning it in to a cat with a nose and tail.

Has anyone done this? If so how did it perform? Can you think of any drawbacks?

Thanks
Chris

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I went as far as building a frame for an older Avon Pro bucket boat with the same idea in mind.

Could never bring myself to actually cut out the floor though.

My thought was that the frame would need to be similar to a cat frame with drop-down's. Seemed to make more sense to me for gear hauling and would offer more side to side rigidity.

If you're just setting it up for day use and aren't too concerned with gear...I bet the thwarts will be adequate.

I abandoned the project when I moved to Idaho and left the old Avon with my pops...I haven't given up on the idea though....I still think it would be sweet.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #3

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
I am having the same "What am I doing" problem with it.

It is a small 10' Wing with a ton of rocker and seams it would be super fun as a single boat for day trips.

I would leave the thwarts for now, but I do wonder if in the end they would stop you from busting through holes?

When I cut the floor, at least for the short term, I plan on leaving enought material to add gromets and retro a self bailing lace in floor back in if it is lame.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I had the same idea on an old momentum 13'

I wound out cutting the floor out as it was trashed beyond repair anyhow

I never got around to making a frame for it. wound up putting a "free" on craigslist and someone came and took it. not sure if he ever completed the project. I guess if I see it on the river I'll know ...
Old 10-01-2012   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Had the same idea, and still debating it. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Already have a cat frame I would use, but that's the problem. It's really made for tubes 22" and bigger(currently use it with 25" tubes that have maybe 2-4" of clearance pending on weight). Unless I went to 18-20' boats, all I could find were smaller diameter tubes. And then I'd have the drop bars running below the rubber level. I could get/make another set of drop bars, or make the frame raised somehow. etc etc. All are outside the box ideas that mean $ I don't have.

If someone has it setup, please send pics! I still think it's a fun/good theory. A whole donut cataraft!!! I bet it could out perform the CC's!!!

Can I coin the name donu-cats? Or is there already a name out there for such a creature?
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate
Had the same idea, and still debating it. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Already have a cat frame I would use, but that's the problem. It's really made for tubes 22" and bigger(currently use it with 25" tubes that have maybe 2-4" of clearance pending on weight). Unless I went to 18-20' boats, all I could find were smaller diameter tubes. And then I'd have the drop bars running below the rubber level. I could get/make another set of drop bars, or make the frame raised somehow. etc etc. All are outside the box ideas that mean $ I don't have.

If someone has it setup, please send pics! I still think it's a fun/good theory. A whole donut cataraft!!! I bet it could out perform the CC's!!!

Can I coin the name donu-cats? Or is there already a name out there for such a creature?
Get a fleet of old bailers, cut out the floors and then stack four high so it really obstructs your vision and makes it be able to handle any whitewater
Old 10-01-2012   #7

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Retired Guide/Outfitter Roger Lee of the Cal Salmon used a modified/ no floor Avon bucket boat for his guide schools. Small platform in one compartment otherwise a big time bailer !!! Bomber whitewater boat, amazing stability !!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I had a 14' AVON bucket that I bought off my buddy Terry that they had gotten fed up with and cut the bottom out of. It had an oar frame and did pretty well. Depends on what you want to run with it. In the attached photo you can see me flipping Terry off on a Pumphouse run we did together. I did load it up on another Pumphouse trip with boxes, cooler, a passenger, camping gear, and it did great. My setup had the rear box behind me (not shown in photo) hanging a bit low and it scraped on a couple rocks. A mesh floor slung higher up on the frame and raft with a big drybag would have been great back there. My second attachment is of it on the trip in which they got tired of the bottom and cut it out. They had it really loaded for a long float and 2 people. Check out the awesome DIY canopy. I had no part in that trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35098_1429417186758_5322018_n.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	5198

Click image for larger version

Name:	31095_1399953690189_6058937_n.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	5199
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #9

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
we did this once with a small 12' otter on the lower animas. actually worked a lot better then anyone thought it would. drop bars on the frame would really help out with keeping the boat a little more rigid.
Old 10-02-2012   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado_steve View Post
we did this once with a small 12' otter on the lower animas. actually worked a lot better then anyone thought it would. drop bars on the frame would really help out with keeping the boat a little more rigid.
Yeah my frame had a hard wood floor and bars like a cat frame would. The thing was solid.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote