Bogan Canyon clear for a raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2011   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Bogan Canyon clear for a raft?

Was going to hit up Bogan Canyon here in the next couple of days and I wanted to find out if anyone had done this stretch recently and can tell me whether there are strainers I need to be worried about.

Dalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011   #2

Did it Monday at some weird peak of about 3000, we saw the river rie 6" at the put in. The Canyon section was free of trees but there were several strainers in the braided section above the canyon about a mile below Marble. Fun canyon with lots of blind corners. There is a cable in the canyon section that we ducked under at 3k.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011   #3

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
A buddy and myself are going to run bogan tomorrow in kayaks, rich/brendodendo, you guys have seemed to have been on this stretch a bit lately - any wood that we need to be aware of that is not roadside? anyone else been in there this week? any other hazards? we don't need a rapid by rapid description, just want to make sure everything is clean. I know about the culvert portages and have scouted them in the past so they shouldn't be a problem. Any info would be great, thanks guys
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011   #4

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Oh, and if anyone wants to join us tomorrow (probably be in carbondale around 1ish), you're more than welcome to come. It's a beautiful canyon! PM or call if interested 970-274-8722
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #5

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Did it Monday at some weird peak of about 3000, we saw the river rie 6" at the put in. The Canyon section was free of trees but there were several strainers in the braided section above the canyon about a mile below Marble. Fun canyon with lots of blind corners. There is a cable in the canyon section that we ducked under at 3k.
Rich, how'd it compare to more typical 800-1200 cfs flows? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2011   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthNRG View Post
Rich, how'd it compare to more typical 800-1200 cfs flows? Thanks.
That one run at 3k +/- was my only time down. Lots of fun.
We scouted Crystal Narrows at 3k and both said no way.
Class IV+ or V, with a Class V+ swim potential.

Then we also scouted Meatgrinder, OMG!
Old 06-30-2011   #7

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Right on, thanks, but I'll take your "lots of fun" with a grain of salt since you've been asking about Barrel and Gore in the past, both of which are bigger than I'm interested in.

Yeah, I imagine Narrows and Meatgrinder look pretty bad right now. Narrows looks challenging but fun at lower levels, and Meatgrinder has always been fun to look at from shore, but I don't think I'll ever see it from the water. I can only guess what the guys that got stuck midstream in Meatgrinder with tubes a few years back were thinking!
Old 06-30-2011   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthNRG View Post
Right on, thanks, but I'll take your "lots of fun" with a grain of salt since you've been asking about Barrel and Gore in the past, both of which are bigger than I'm interested in.

Yeah, I imagine Narrows and Meatgrinder look pretty bad right now. Narrows looks challenging but fun at lower levels, and Meatgrinder has always been fun to look at from shore, but I don't think I'll ever see it from the water. I can only guess what the guys that got stuck midstream in Meatgrinder with tubes a few years back were thinking!
Well I've never seen Barrel (below Death I & II) at a reasonable level and I swam Tunnel Falls in Gore. I would like to take another look at Crystal Narrows at 1000 to 1500. Unfortunetly its a long drive from Boulder.
Old 06-30-2011   #9

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm thinking 2000 would be fun..... 3000 looked like a level that would be nice to have done, not necessarily do. Next time!
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote