Boating with the Disabled - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2018   #1

Boating with the Disabled

I am interested in getting a group together for private trips with the disabled. My wife is a brain injury survivor and we have kayaked/rafted for many years. I know there are commercial groups doing the same (NSCD, Adaptive Adventures, No Barriers, etc.) but this would be for private river trips.

The way adaptive sports generally work is a 1:1 pairing of a disabled person and their non-disabled guide. I am a 17 year emeritus with the NSCD ski program.

We envision overnight raft trips as the main activity, but day trips might be good too. We live in Boulder.

I would like to hear from folks both disabled and not. The key may be to get a core group of volunteer guides together. Please let me know of the interest out there.

jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Funny, I came into this thread expecting to offer up NSCD's contact info as an organization that has experience with this. I live in the Fraser Valley and could be interested. I work a funnky schedule but raft the Uppper C often. PMs welcome.
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #3

Santa Rosa, California
Check out ETC if you're in CA. Skiing, rafting and sea kayaking for all abilities.

Environmental Traveling Companions

I've volunteered for them and they are good folks.

DM
matzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I was a commercial guide for many years, still guide a trip here and there, and what I truly loved about the job was sharing the experience we all love so much with other people. I've had interest all along in sharing the experience with populations that may not feel like they would be able to participate in this kind of activity. I'd love to be on the list of potential volunteers. My current fleet of river toys (paddlecat/packraft/surfboard) probably wouldn't be ideal but I be psyched to join a trip and row a boat. I live up in Buena Vista. Send me an email if you're putting something together, I only sporadically check on mountainbuzz. egdowd/gmail
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote