Blue river below Green Mtn Dam - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2015   #1

longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Blue river below Green Mtn Dam

Has anyone floated the blue below green mountain dam past the Troth road? If so any trees in the water to watch out for? Also, how was the fishing? Thanks for any info.

slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you mean trough road, be advised that if you miss the last river access, you end up running big gore canyon which is considered at least class 5. I have never run this section, have been down gore once, and the only possible take out that i know of is gore river access.

This would not be a place you would wish to take out at, it is maybe a 30' long steep mud bank that most rafters slide there rafts down empty, with some one to swim out, and then paddle them to shore.
Old 07-13-2015   #3

Tabernash, Colorado
Oh wow, looking at google earth, it appears there are now stairs and a boat slide rail down to the water now( at gore river access).I haven't been down gore in a long time, maybe some one else has beta on gore river access improvements? Either way, don't miss the take out!
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015   #4

longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Mattman. Blue river

So have u floated the blue below green mtn res, and r there any obstacles, trees, ect that I need to look out for?
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
We did the Lower Blue on Saturday, got out at the kayaker take out, so no info for you below that... but lots of fun, nothing too serious. BIG wave trains. Did I mention lots of fun? It was lots of fun. There were big wave trains.
No new trees, and the only tree I've ever had to dodge was broken so passage was easier. Have you ever done the Blue?
If you do a search there's a lot of beta in older threads already... not much has changed from last year, other than the dreaded tube thrasher thingy that was supposedly down there (never saw it).
Big, fun wave trains.
Old 07-13-2015   #6

Tabernash, Colorado
I have not floated the blue, just once down gore, so i have been to gore river access. The section bellow green mtn. normally takes out upstream of trough
Rd. from what i have heard.
Old 07-13-2015   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
The takeout is below trough on river right. There's no ramp, you have to carry gear about 50 feet up a bank and over a little irrigation channel that has a 6' long foot bridge. It's a B**CH with a raft and a fishing frame. Did it twice last year, haven't been down yet this year so can't speak to wood being present or not. Last I looked a couple days ago, flows were at 1150. That's perfect in my book.

Mosquitoes will eat you alive at takeout.

If it's 1450 or higher, don't go. If you do go, watch out for decapitations around 1500.

Sent from my Z970 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote