Blown Bulkhead in a raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2008   #1

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Blown Bulkhead in a raft?

I'm looking at maybe buying a small raft to use as a paddle raft with friends and family down easy stuff (grizzly, filter plant, parkdale maybe, etc) and found a 13'6" boat for $450. The trick is that it has a blown bulkhead. How big of a deal is a blown bulkhead in this situation?

MR

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Fixing it retail will likely cost more than the boat. Call zach for a quote 720 240 3628.

The boat will handle fine with the blown baffle, but if you get a real tear, you'll be down 2 chambers, instead of one. I bet that would be pretty hard to get ashore.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
My understanding is that this boat only has two chambers to start and is now one continuous chamber for the whole boat. (I'm a potential half to 1/3 owner of this thing.) Sounds like they have been running it commercially back east on very easy water. Personally, I'm concerned of the safety risk as the thing would sink if punctured.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008   #4

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I didn't mean to speak for you Laurie, I thought you decided you where not interested. Basically I'm asking would it be a big deal not to have it fixed. My thought about a punctured tube is that since I don't plan on having a frame or a "real" load on it besides people and perhaps a cooler the thorts (sp) would at least keep the rubber from really sinking and becoming a safety hazard in the river.

Like I said, I'm not looking for anything high end here. I don't really plan on taking this on any "serious" water or over nighters. Really just kind of a cheap beater raft to get in and learn and have fun on class II-III(+) type water with non-kayaking friends and family.
Old 02-18-2008   #5

incline village, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
it sounds kind of dangerous to me. there are plenty of other cheap rafts out there that might have patches on them but will stay afloat if you get a hole. if you were to pop this one chambered raft at the top of a long rapid i'm guessing by the time you got to shore it would be deflated enough that it would be very hard to maneuver.
SNCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i know where you are looking at these and it would be cheaper to just buy the $750 ones with the intact bulkheads.

not a cheap repair.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
If it's blown so bad you can inflate the whole boat from one valve don't buy it. If it's a slower leak, between the chambers, you'll have time to make it to shore before it sinks.

My 2 cents
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #8
sj

If you are at one chamber you would need to fix 2 baffles. Takes about 2 hours a baffle at $80 an hour if Zack does it. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The one for $750 was sold on eBay Friday in the last 19 seconds of the auction. I'm a kayaker that is learning about rafts, so apologize for not knowing what's up. Sounds like something I'll personally avoid. Thanks for the info.

L.
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
The one for $750 was sold on eBay Friday in the last 19 seconds of the auction. I'm a kayaker that is learning about rafts, so apologize for not knowing what's up. Sounds like something I'll personally avoid. Thanks for the info.

L.
my understanding is they are selling around 40 of them. not sure how many are blown vs intact but there will be others. or just email/call the guy for a non-ebay transaction.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting