Bike helmets on the river? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2017   #1
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Bike helmets on the river?

Has anybody used a bike helmet on the river? Here's the deal: we scored a Middle Fork permit for the beginning of July (lucky us!) and many people do not already own helmets. Could they use bike helmets or do they have to buy helmets made for whitewater?

fajawiebe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Bike helmet is better than no helmet, but not as good as a whitewater helmet. bike helmets are usually designed for one impact, or a couple in rapid succession if it has MIPS. Whitewater helmet is made for durability, and made to not hold water.
I would get a good whitewater helmet for the Middle Fork. If bringing folks down a less demanding river with fewer rapids, then maybe grab the Bike Helmet.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
helmets can be had for cheap too.. some cheaper than bike helmets. but if you're going with the don't have money for a new helmet deal, then I guess a bike helmet is better than no helmet.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017   #4
faja

Eugene, Oregon
The deal is first-timers who don't want to buy helmets they may not use again.
Old 05-10-2017   #5

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Check out a local college for rental gear. Their Outdoor Education/Recreation programs often have inexpensive rentals. Make sure they have the proper PFDs as well.
athelake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #6

Boise, Idaho
first timers on the middle fork? I'd highly advise a helmet..
$16 is cheaper than the average bike helmet. and provides the appropriate amount of protection. Hell I'd (me) buy one for somebody in your group to help make a difference. And encourage the rest to grab one too.
Old 05-11-2017   #7
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
first timers on the middle fork? I'd highly advise a helmet..
$16 is cheaper than the average bike helmet. and provides the appropriate amount of protection. Hell I'd (me) buy one for somebody in your group to help make a difference. And encourage the rest to grab one too.
$16 is indeed cheap. Is somebody selling them for $16 or is that a rental price?
Old 05-11-2017   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajawiebe View Post
The deal is first-timers who don't want to buy helmets they may not use again.
I would be hesitant to put first timers on the Middle Fork. Let them get started on other rivers.
I was recently on a trip that had a first timer who was not ready for what we were getting in to. At one of the first rapids (Class IV), despite an experienced oarsman, their boat flipped. He began swimming to shore, which was an easy swim, and then inexplicably turned around to begin swimming toward the upside down raft. This meant swimming another Class IV rapid, before being rescued. Long story short, he ended up hiking out and of course others had to go with him for safety.
There are plenty of rivers to get people started on.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #9

Boise, Idaho
20.5" - 22.8" Vent Helmet Professional Climbing Hard Hat Rafting Arborist | eBay
Old 05-11-2017   #10

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Tons of options out there. I would think bike helmets work if they are the more solid plastic with holes in it style vs the super lightweight ones designs for high air flow openings. Bern helmets for example. I know I've seen those worn on the river, snow, and bike.

sierra trading post alone has a ton under $25.
Helmet average savings of 51% at Sierra Trading Post