Big group lunches - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2019   #1

Garden Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1993
Big group lunches

Have a MF Salmon trip this summer with 22 people. Way more than I have ever had on a trip. Have breakfast and dinner figured out but lunch for 22 people, having trouble coming up with decent options. Any ideas would be appreciated.

knute51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
You could do what I always do and just say you're on your own for lunch. Makes it very easy.
Riverwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
For cold cuts I have always planned 5 sandwiches per pound and that has never failed. I don't include cheese in that. So 5 pounds of turkey, ham, roast beef for 25 sammies. Then a pound of cheese per 10 sammies. The emergency supplement is a bag of tortillas and a jar of Peanut Butter.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Doing a sandwich spread is the easiest and safest bet for accommodating everyone's food preferences/restrictions, and minimizes clean up and prep. Just put bread, wraps, meats, cheeses, veggies, condiments, fruit, chips and cookies out on the table. No one can complain. Prep time is the same for 5 people as 35.
Extra emphasis on hand washing since everyone is touching the stuff with grubby river finger.
almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Agree with almortal, wash hands and put forks in strategic places so folks don't use their fingers. A wide variety of condiments goes a long way towards folks feeling like they have lots of choices. Check for peanut allergies (peanut butter, etc.)

And to keep the "buzzards" away from the prep table, put out hard candies, dried or fresh fruit or similar munchies to snack on before lunch is ready.
Old 04-22-2019   #6

Coors heavy and Clamato, garnish with lime and cajun seasoning.
BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #7

Garden Valley, Idaho
I agree and that is how I like to do it. Trip leader gave each group a bk, lunch, dinner for this trip so...
Old 04-22-2019   #8

Garden Valley, Idaho
Agree Sammies are easy. Wasn't sure about wanting to pack a mustard, mayo, ....for one meal. Maybe with that many people though it would all get used up.
Old 04-22-2019   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've always been a big fan of communal meals, lunch included. That way, you can coordinate to avoid conflicts (or the same thing) for lunch and dinner, lighten the overall load on the group by including it in the meal plan (instead of everyone planning all their own lunches, bringing all their own condiments, etc.). And it's just more fun to be with everyone else having lunch. ...except for that one grumpy guy that somehow got invited and sits off alone on his boat scowling at everyone else while eating his PB&J.

Also, I've concluded that wraps are far better than sandwiches for minimizing microtrash.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #10

Chicken Caesar salad wraps. Bagged Caesar salad mix from store, add canned chicken. Slice up some red onion to throw in there as well. I usually take chicken out of the can and put in zip lock bags at home so you're not dealing with so many cans on the river. You can even pre mix before leaving camp in the morning so all you have to do is serve at lunch.
Joedills is offline   Reply With Quote