Beta on Snaggletooth Rapid - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2016   #1
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Beta on Snaggletooth Rapid

Hi all,

Any helpful beta on running snaggletooth? How to spot the scout and any tips would be appreciated!

Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016   #2

My guess is that it is read and run at flows projected (1000+/-)
The banks, scouts and camps will be VERY overgrown from decades of low water.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #3
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My guess is that it is read and run at flows projected (1000+/-)
The banks, scouts and camps will be VERY overgrown from decades of low water.
Yeah from what I read the scout can be seen by a path on river left. What do you bet that path isn't very evident anymore.
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016   #4

cedar city, Utah
The path and social trails are obvious in Google Earth satellite images from 2015. They are about a half mile above Snag on RL by mile 27 (according to old guidebook). I doubt the camp on RR will be a marker anymore but there are two small points that divert you away from the road after Son of Snag and the historic scout I used twice in the past is just about when you near the road again after the 2nd point.

Snaggletooth is worth the 1/2 mile road walk at low water. The entry and move left of Snag rock are worth strategizing for first time Dolores boaters and Class IV boatmen like myself. It was always a bit of bushwack through the willows (i believe thats what it was) but the road makes the walk quick. There are perfect scout rocks to view multiple perspectives and landmarks at the head of the meat of the rapid.

Just know Son of Snag can be as challenging at low water as Snaggletooth. I scouted it in the first run but boat scouted my second descent.

Both times I have run Snaggletooth the slot has been a relatively easy move but moving around Snaggletooth itself got a little sloppy. Both my trips have been between 850-1200 cfs. I made clean moves to the left myself but many people, including commercial guides, intentionally ran over a ledge to the left of Snaggletooth. They would often get hung up for a few seconds to minutes but never for long. It got them away from the wrap potential of Snag (I would expect at least one party to get stuck this season).

I will try and attach a Google Earth image that show the scout.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #5

cedar city, Utah
See attached image of scout location. Wish I knew how to make Google Earth sing better but this is the best I could do. Open the image in another window to get full scale and zoom in (I set it at the highest quality).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snaggletooth Scout.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	11670  
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #6

Placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Just pull out on the left shortly before the rapid. You will see the horizon line for snaggletooth and that is your cue. It forms a large pool at boatable levels. Road is on the left also. The run was always starting right of the middle on top with two holes to run. Most of the water wants to put you on snag rock and at low levels you had to flirt with it and then pull left. It gets really interesting when rafts start to stack up on the rock. Tally Ho!
screamindoggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
This may be too late if you are launching tomorrow, but there is also a wooden sign on river right that says danger- snaggletooth rapid or similar- I can't wait to see that sign again. it is above river left scout.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote