best way to modify drybox tabs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
best way to modify drybox tabs?

Hi all,

I have an old school traditional aluminum drybox with hang tabs, and want to figure out if I can easily modify the tabs to run straps through, so that I don't have to run the straps over the box (similar to the Mad Cow drybox tab design).

Any ideas on if this is a good idea, and what the easiest way to do it would be?

Thanks in advance! Ian

surf.wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Drill a line of holes slightly smaller than the size slot you are trying to make. Try and use as long drill bit as possible. Use a center punch for the line of holes you are about to drill so the bit doesn't walk around on you. The long drill bit will help to keep your drill from hitting the side of the box. Then use a file or three and connect the holes and make the slot. The aluminum will be easy to file by hand and by using a smaller drill bit than the finished product will help you carve out the slot to the proper size and make it look pretty. By the time you get to the last tab.....you'll have the technique down pat. Good luck.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I had mine fabbed with Southco draw latches. Best money I ever spent.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Aluminum is pretty soft stuff. It will file easy and break easy too. If you drill and file as suggested just keep that in mind.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

SLC, Utah
Caverdan
Some people are like glow sticks........you want to shake them till the light come on.

This is awesome!!
blueotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueotter View Post
Caverdan
Some people are like glow sticks........you want to shake them till the light come on.

This is awesome!!
I second that! (And, according to my SO, I likely qualify.)
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you use your dry box for any significant amount of time, the lid latches will wear out and come unlatched in a flip. Even with a brand new dry box with latches that seem to hold tight, I wouldn't consider my rig "rigged to flip" without two straps going over the top of the box.

Running straps through the tabs might be a good choice for fishing or flat-water when you need in and out of your box a lot and the chance of a flip is low, but for whitewater, just add webbing loops and carabiners to one bar of your frame and run your straps through those. Then you can get in and out of your box without fiddling with the cam buckle.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueotter View Post
Caverdan

This is awesome!!
I wish I was the author, but I stole it fair and square
At times we all have a little glow stick in us :
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I used a dremmel and a cut off wheel to put a narrow slit just big enough for a cam strap. Real easy takes about 10 minutes and you wont take off too much material.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Louisville, United States
Paddling Since: 1980
at least one over the top

[QUOTE=surf.wv;759257]Hi all,

Any ideas on if this is a good idea, and what the easiest way to do it would be?

Thanks in advance! Ian

Lots of good ideas on doing the modification, but I would have at least one loop strap over the box to reinforce the latches. If you have one, why not just use two and not bother with the straps in the tabs.

My friend has this set up and likes it, but he might use a strap over it as well.
gnawdoow is offline   Reply With Quote