Best Thread for Hypalon - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2015   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Best Thread for Hypalon

Trailer 1, Raft 0. I'll spare you the deets and just say in a moment of complete dumbassery I caused a large L shaped slash in my hypalon boat. Should be pretty easy to fix, but given the size and shape I think it'd be prudent to sew it up before patching. What's the bestest thread to use? Any other general tips? Thanks buzzards!

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015   #2

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Inside/outside patch if it's large, it will hold better. How big is the L? If you end up needing to sew it a sewing awl and dental floss should hold it together to get a patch on it.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Thank you for the advice. Each side of the slash is two or three inches. Would you also sew it up, or just glue the inside of the tear to a patch then glue down the outer patch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015   #4

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Sewing and patching

I have a hypalon boat that suffered (because of my dumb-ass landing) a 10" vertical cut in the outer layer of the hypalon. Over time, the material began to bulge. Inflatable Technologies in Denver patched for me, inside and out, having to disassemble that section of the boat. No problems now. Call them about sewing and the patching; Greg @ 303-922-3111.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Thanks Dr. This was a complete cut all the way through. The chamber deflated in a matter of seconds. Looks like it was done with a sharp knife. I bought the boat five years ago for $400 and it would cost at least that much to have it repaired professionally since I'd have to ship it. A friend has an old hypalon raft that I can have for patch material so I plan to order a big can of glue and add some handles while I'm at it. Hopefully the Gear Pig will live again. Poor ol' boat. Given me years of faithful service despite being subjected to countless indignities and this is how I repay her LOL.
Old 05-26-2015   #6

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
If it's only 2-3 inches each run I'd just do an inside/outside. The inside patch will take the stress of the air pressure and the outer patch reinforces the repair. If you have to sew it, it will probably leave ripples that will make it more difficult to get a good outer patch over it.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Don't sew it... they don't sew seams do they? As said above sewing it will only make it difficult to get a good seal with the patches. I had a similar repair on pvc years ago and am pretty sure the patch outlasted the boat.
Old 05-26-2015   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Okay, hypalon sammich it is, and no sewing. Thank you very much guys! I'll be sure to report back when it's done.
Old 05-26-2015   #9

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
tear repair

One last thing. Use two-part Stabond glue; it's much stronger.
Northwest River Supplies and Jack's Plastic Welding have excellent information on patching.
Cheers!
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #10

madrid, Idaho
nice information
thanks all
boyrafly is offline   Reply With Quote