Best things to bring on the Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-11-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Best things to bring on the Grand Canyon

For those of you who have made the trip or know others who have and heard good stories, what are the best things you've heard of bringing on a trip. I will surely be bringing five pairs of sunglasses and toothbrushes, lots of sunscreen and lotion, extra camera batteries, fun costumes, enough party supplies to feed the entire country of Andorra for the year 2013, probably some kind of solar powered speakers, musical instruments, and all the other "essentials". What were the best things you brought that when you busted em out, people freaked, or that you used everyday and considered absolutely crucial? Ok, maybe not crucial but made you the coolest cat around because you had _________.

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Black light to hunt scorpions was a fun nightly ritual after we had set up camp to see how infested the area you are sleeping in is. Lasers to make your party supplies better. Those big bubble makers, unreal how much fun we had with those thing on the water, making smoke bubbles is a true feat and passes the flat water. We may have had a little too much fun, but it is hard not to down there. I did not bring enough wet/body wipes and wished I had more. Sure I will think of some others...
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Schedule lots of bacon for breakfasts = Grease Bombs
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Well first and foremost you need firepower. 12 gauge shotgun, 44 magnum, and AK-47 are the minimum for a small group. Larger groups should consider adding an RPG and flamethrower to their arsenal.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Well first and foremost you need firepower. 12 gauge shotgun, 44 magnum, and AK-47 are the minimum for a small group. Larger groups should consider adding an RPG and flamethrower to their arsenal.
Are you damaged? 44mag is way to unruly for effective commercial guide v. private boater combat. 10mm or .41 increases rapid fire accuracy over a 44 any day. Duh. Plus, I think flamethrowers are always banned in the dry season unless you have an Arizona conceal permit so I'd keep it secret.
Old 12-11-2012   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
On a real note.. some sort of music creation device ie. guitar, harmonica, accordion, etc. is often appreciated.
Old 12-11-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
3-5 times as many spare contacts as you think along with tons of plain saline for rinsing sand sand and more sand. Rx sunglasses too.
Old 12-11-2012   #8

Boise, Idaho
Sand-free MultiRug

Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: SandFree MultiRug - 5'1" x 6'6"
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Muck boots or any other kind of shin-to-knee high waterproof boots...wore them everyday.

Face paint for "war" paint for the big rapids, it helps.

Psychedelics.

Along with above I would recommend doing theme nights for costume fun. For example we had animal shirt night, international night (on election day), prom night, etc.

Whiskey to stay warm on the raft.

Rigging gloves.

Super glue for when your hands or feet do crack.

Fleece pants...wore them every morning along with my Muck boots. Melanzana has sweet ones out of Leadville.

Thermos...pack a hot tea on your boat for drinking during the day.

Rolling papers...who wants to smoke bowls every day?

Packable bong...see above.

I'll second the more bacon. We even had bacon with Oatmeal, kicked ass!

Have fun! It's a special place!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #10

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
SOCKS! Lube up the feet before you hit the cot and cover them up with socks. Your feet will thank you.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote