Best raft cleaner? 303? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 11-02-2016   #1

MA, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 2011
Best raft cleaner? 303?

Hi Folks -

What's the best raft cleaner out there? I keep hearing good things about 303. Where can I purchase that?

My plan is to pick up a few Mr Clean Magic Erasers too and go to town - i'm sure that will take care of most blemishes without the 303 even.

Thanks!

cdtakacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2016   #2

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Saw your post and thought I'd share this. I have a white Maravia and I can tell you between Colorado mud and aluminum rub marks it really looks dirty especially after Grand Canyon trips. The texture on the top of the tubes really holds the grime. I've found that "Inflatable Boat cleaner", about $16 a quart works really well. You can get it almost anywhere that sells boats. Cascade Outfitters is where I get mine. Looks new when I'm done. 303 is a protectant, and is great for finishing the job. Does make the boat slick though. Works great on gaskets of drysuits as well.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I second what mgpaddler said...
thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2016   #4
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
I third what the crew is saying! Here is a link to the boat cleaner ~ boat cleaner Search Results | Cascade River Gear

We recommend using 303 twice a season on your boat, I condition mine at the beginning of the season and then again at the end of the season but that is really all you need to do! It is basically Armour All for our river rides. The magic eraser is magical, we use them on all of our boats with the boat cleaner. I also will use a big soft bristle brush to scrub any stubborn stuff out, just make sure it is SOFT bristle. When you 303 your boat make sure that you let it dry completely before packing it down for the season if you store her rolled. Let me know if I can help with anything else! Thanks for the shout out fellow MB boaters

Keep it Right Side Up,
Renee
Old 11-02-2016   #5

summit, Colorado
Has anybody had bad side effects from using the magic eraser? We used it on our PVC Vanguard once or twice a few years back (along with the inflatable boat cleaner), and then just in the last year or two, it seemed like the fabric was getting tacky. Not sure if that was a result of the magic eraser, or just age - it was about 8-9 years old when that issue started. We upgraded to a Hyside hypalon boat this year, and I'd love to clean up the frame marks on it, but I'm afraid to use the magic eraser now!
basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016   #6
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
Has anybody had bad side effects from using the magic eraser? We used it on our PVC Vanguard once or twice a few years back (along with the inflatable boat cleaner), and then just in the last year or two, it seemed like the fabric was getting tacky. Not sure if that was a result of the magic eraser, or just age - it was about 8-9 years old when that issue started. We upgraded to a Hyside hypalon boat this year, and I'd love to clean up the frame marks on it, but I'm afraid to use the magic eraser now!
I have been using the magic erasers for about 4 years now and haven't seen any bad reactions on the PVC floor of a Maravia round boat and a Hyside Mini Max. I have now been using it on my cat that I bought last year and it works beautifully, it's also Maravia. We also use them in the shop to clean all styles of boats NRS, RMR, AIRE and Maravia and haven't had any bad reactions. That is strange that your material was getting tacky? Did you call Vanguard and ask them about it? Just curious. Kindly, Renee
Old 11-02-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
Never used a Magic erasure, and don't think I've ever had that problem from Inflatable Boat Cleaner, but I clean my Raft sparingly these days now that it's getting older.
You remove material when you clean your boat, and I don't like speeding that process up to much. I get all the sand and clay, debris, all that stuff out, but I don't stress over the rub marks and stains very much, just gonna come back on the next trip anyway.
My opinion FWIW.

I've seen Hypalon get tacky like that before it started to D-lam, so probably good you sold it!
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016   #8

summit, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade River Gear View Post
That is strange that your material was getting tacky? Did you call Vanguard and ask them about it? Just curious. Kindly, Renee
Nope - never called Vanguard and asked about it - we just assumed it was a side effect of age. I only used the magic eraser a couple times, and it was when the boat was just a couple years old. The tackiness didn't really start till the boat was 8-9 years old, so it's hard to guess if there's any correlation between the two. But a friend of ours that had the same vintage Vanguard also had tackiness issues after 8-9 years, and he'd used the magic eraser a lot, so I thought maybe there might be a cause-effect thing there. Sounds like a lot of people use the magic erasers with no negative side effects, though, so perhaps it was just that batch of PVC.
basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016   #9

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
Save your $$ for BEER!

We recommend LA's Totally Awesome (As seen on TV). It cost a dollar for a 16 oz. bottle and works as well if not better than all the "Raft Cleaners" on the market. We don't sell boat cleaner but we do manufacture boats so we have no bias except what works for the best value.
The tackiness on the PVC boats is due to the material off-gassing phthalates which is accelerated by UV exposure and heat. It happens to all PVC boats including Star Inflatables. This is why using 303 is important to act like a sunscreen for your boat protecting it from extreme UV exposure.
Here is link to a short clip using LA's Totally Awesome on a 13 year old boat. It works even better if left to soak for 5 minutes prior to scrubbing.

https://www.facebook.com/star.inflat...2207737290004/

Happy Paddling!
Attached Files
Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016   #10

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I use a couple drops of Dr. Bronners diluted with warm/hot water, and a sponge like you'd find above the kitchen sink. Nothing too abrasive, or any harsh chemicals. I mainly get the scum line that forms a couple inches above and around the floor, inside and outside the raft. 303 then good to go. I read somewhere once, that when applying 303 you should "buff" the product/material until there are no visible wet spots on the surface.... So maybe it is possible to have to much of a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote