Best R-2ing and do-everything Raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-28-2006   #1

Best R-2ing and do-everything Raft?

Looking for recomendations on a good self bailing WW raft to R-2 stuff in with the GF. Live on the Ark and would go out in a range of conditions. Boat needs to be manueverable enough for Numbers at 400 with enough oomph for larger volume crashing wave stuff like high(er) water Royal Gorge and med-level Westwater (for a few examples).

Looking for recomendations on sizes and make/model. 9.5 seems a little small and limiting and 12 is about as big as I would thin for low vol. R-2'ing.

Thanks in advance.

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006   #2
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Shredder

Shedder- Airtight Inflatables.

From self-support S-1 the Black Canyon to Gore. It has done it all, and it fits in a small backpack.
Old 05-28-2006   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I like the Puma. Took it on Widowmaker at 12,000 cfs with no problems and creekin as well.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006   #4

Re: Best R-2ing and do-everything Raft?

I just bought a Aire "Super Puma" 11.5 with a 5' beam, I've ran #'s at 400 with no problem and had it on the Poudre this weekend @ 4 feet which is about equivalent to running #'s at about 15-1800, and it rocked, I would highly reccomend this boat to any one who loves to R-2 weou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng
Looking for recomendations on a good self bailing WW raft to R-2 stuff in with the GF. Live on the Ark and would go out in a range of conditions. Boat needs to be manueverable enough for Numbers at 400 with enough oomph for larger volume crashing wave stuff like high(er) water Royal Gorge and med-level Westwater (for a few examples).

Looking for recomendations on sizes and make/model. 9.5 seems a little small and limiting and 12 is about as big as I would thin for low vol. R-2'ing.

Thanks in advance.
vayo con dios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #5
Di

I have a Puma and have taken it down Shoshone, Eagle, Westwater and Cataract at lower levels, Dolores, Lodore, Plateau Creek. Becuase it is very light and has a lot of rocker, it is extremely quick and resposive - even surfs nicely. However, that also means you better have some momentum and be square when you hit big stuff! I run it more as an oar rig, than R2, but it performs great on both. If you are stictly going to R2, you might look at a DIB if you can get your hands on one - mostly see them on SE rivers, but a friend of mine has one and it is heavier since it's neoprene and pretty indestructable, but handles great. He's taken it down the Grand, Westwater, and Cat at 25k+ in addition to things like the Murtaugh section on the Snake, Slaughterhouse, etc.
Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
get the "super puma".

Is great at R2 up to R7. Packed mine with 9 this weekend as R5 with a cooler. Get an NRS breakdown frame and you are set up for multi use. Packed for an 8 day trip it is loaded to bear but still has room for you plus 2.

This boat can handle anything from class V drops to long floats on Cataract
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #7

Culebra for sale.

I have a Culebra for sale: $1150 +Shipping from Central Wyoming. Solid boat, great for R2.
Haven’t ran a Shredder, but I have taken it though Numbers, Poudre, Shoshone, North Fork, Upper Stillwater and haven’t had a problem one. No tears/ major scuffs, just basic river use. If you’re interested drop me a line: [email protected]
Jerbready is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting