Best places/ towns to guide in Idaho? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2017   #1

Dubois, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1776
Best places/ towns to guide in Idaho?

I'm looking to move to Idaho in the next few years and having trouble on deciding where. Idaho has no shortage of awesome rivers and places to live. The only thing I'm trying to avoid is bigger cities (Boise). Any suggestions on towns, areas, and companies are welcome.

As far as my experience, I'm currently an Upper Animas guide so I'd like to continue to guide class IV and V if possible.

Thanks for reading.

kevinthediltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017   #2

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Stanley in the summer, Ketchum in the winter. Or Missoula if you want to be a lochsa guy, not technically in Idaho but close.
Hans n Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017   #3

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Check out Riggins. It's centrally located for Main Salmon, Hell's canyon and Lower Salmon if you're looking for multiday guiding. It also has a fun class III-IV day section depending on flow. It's right on the Salmon and the Little Salmon ( continuous class IV during run off but not commercial) and near the Payette. It's about two hours from the Lochsa. Super fun town that revolves around the river with a great guide community. Salmon and steelhead fishing in winter and an hour and a half from Brundage mountain if you ski. There are several hotsprings in the area. It's not a good location if you have your heart set on the Middle Fork. Hope that's helpful!
skywalker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2017   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I like McCall. It's a small (3000 people) mountain resort town and there are tons of things to do year round. It's the headwaters of the Payette River, which offers miles of boating. The Little Salmon and South Salmon are really close and all the big rivers are nearby. Brundage Mtn. is a great ski area and it usually get plenty of snow. It's far enough away from Boise to avoid the maddening crowds but still close enough to get provisions or bigger city entertainment.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #5

Strangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1978
Riggins Rocks! Like Skywalker said, plus you can guide for steelhead and chukar in the fall and winter and Chinook in the spring. Great backcountry skiing in the Devils and Gospels, and few tourons vs Ketchum and McCall.
Rivertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthediltz View Post
....so I'd like to continue to guide class IV and V if possible.....
Ha!
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
I'm looking to move to Idaho in the next few years and having trouble on deciding where. Idaho has no shortage of awesome rivers and places to live.
Ya but Idaho has an extreme shortage of guide jobs and in the time I wrote this response 10 more ppl just like you got here and applied, 9 left after going completely broke, and the one that stayed is sleeping on my couch.

But if you're young and have a dream. Then, I say go for shit and buy a company. I mean what the hell, these guys who do this are not rocket scientist. Someone wants out and someone wants in. What is the worst that could happen? If I was a young single man under 30. I'd lie to the banks until they loaned me the money and I'd try to be a millionaire. Just a thought.....
Old 07-11-2017   #8

Dubois, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Quote:
....so I'd like to continue to guide class IV and V if possible.....
Ha!
And why is this a "ha?"
Old 07-11-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
And why is this a "ha?"
The OP would be able to continue to guide class IV but there isn't any commercially guided class V stretches in Idaho. The main problem you run into in Idaho is the season is short for raft guiding and unless you can figure out a way to do something in the winter it's hard to get by. Also, housing in any of the towns suggested above is a major problem. McCall for instance has a real shortage on low income housing. Most folks I know have 2-3 jobs just to stay afloat in the off season.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #10

Dubois, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post

Ya but Idaho has an extreme shortage of guide jobs and in the time I wrote this response 10 more ppl just like you got here and applied, 9 left after going completely broke, and the one that stayed is sleeping on my couch.

But if you're young and have a dream. Then, I say go for shit and buy a company. I mean what the hell, these guys who do this are not rocket scientist. Someone wants out and someone wants in. What is the worst that could happen? If I was a young single man under 30. I'd lie to the banks until they loaned me the money and I'd try to be a millionaire. Just a thought.....
I've heard this but I also feel like I've heard this for everywhere and never really had trouble getting work. I should also mention I have a cdl so I can drive busses as well. I'm really hoping that my resume will get me in the door (cat canyon, upper Animas, clear creek, and private trips in countless other rivers, as well as being an SRT instructor) but I'm also not expecting to walk in and immediately guide what I want to. I'm counting on working easy family stretches and hopefully moving up if they're stoked on my skills. I'll see what happens, though.

Thanks for the response either way!