Best Hub town in Idaho for river access and day trips - Mountain Buzz
 

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2018   #1
 
BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27
Best Hub town in Idaho for river access and day trips

I have been a Colorado boater for most of my life and generally home based in Buena Vista. Obviously there is more rivers in CO than the Ark. We have always branched out to kayak or raft other rivers in state. BV has been nice for a home base run like the Arkansas River. It has quick Kayak shuttles and a lot of variety for rafting. We love to host friends and day trip. Browns is a simple safe trip with good views, that creates easy access and memories for all.

We are looking to spend some time in Idaho this summer and havent explored many rivers there. Obviously there is some amazing multi days which we will try to get on or have done in past. We are curious what town or area has the most access for day trips and quality whitewater. Kayak, rafting, and some occasional class V for seasoned boaters. We also have rookies that join and would love a simple beautiful day stretch like Browns Canyon. Love to hear your advice and places you could recommend. Thank you all

Zach and Beth

skinnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2018   #2
 
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 244
Gotta be Boise or McCall. From either place you have access (little further from McCall) to the Payette river runs. There are at least 6 day runs on the payette river system, ranging from class II to class V (swirly canyon on the south fork up to the north fork from Smiths Ferry to Banks). Plus you have access to the non-permitted sections of the Salmon (couple hours further from boise). Plus a few other runs at varying distances from each town.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #3
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyfish View Post
I have been a Colorado boater for most of my life and generally home based in Buena Vista. Obviously there is more rivers in CO than the Ark. We have always branched out to kayak or raft other rivers in state. BV has been nice for a home base run like the Arkansas River. It has quick Kayak shuttles and a lot of variety for rafting. We love to host friends and day trip. Browns is a simple safe trip with good views, that creates easy access and memories for all.

We are looking to spend some time in Idaho this summer and havent explored many rivers there. Obviously there is some amazing multi days which we will try to get on or have done in past. We are curious what town or area has the most access for day trips and quality whitewater. Kayak, rafting, and some occasional class V for seasoned boaters. We also have rookies that join and would love a simple beautiful day stretch like Browns Canyon. Love to hear your advice and places you could recommend. Thank you all

Zach and Beth

I would probably post up in Lowman or Garden Valley. An hour to the Middle Fork. Easy to get to Main Payette or daystretch in Stanley for class 3 fun. And all of the Payettes in your front yard. You are not close to the Lochsa but that tends to be run early. Hot springs all around.

McCall would work too and it does give you a just over the hill shot to the Main Salmon or the Little Salmon which is also an early only run.

I love Stanley and spend lots of time there because....views and wild. When I was kayaking a lot I made lots of trips up past Lowman to get to the Payette.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2018   #4
Pieter Porcupine
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 279
Hub Towns

Similarly, what would be a good hub town to catch both access to rivers as well as access to skiing/boarding? Thanks!
__________________
The larger the river of knowledge the longer the shoreline of wonder.
MountainmanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #5
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post
Similarly, what would be a good hub town to catch both access to rivers as well as access to skiing/boarding? Thanks!
No you don't. That means you are thinking about moving here. And bringing your filthy Colorado hippy ways with you. Nope. Don't do it. And stay offa my lawn.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #6
Pieter Porcupine
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 279
Nope. Too cold and people with shitty attitudes. Where are you from originally Carvedog? Ima pee on your lawn and it'll smell like patchouli.
__________________
The larger the river of knowledge the longer the shoreline of wonder.
MountainmanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #7
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post
Nope. Too cold and people with shitty attitudes. Where are you from originally Carvedog? Ima pee on your lawn and it'll smell like patchouli.
About a stones throw from the Snake River Canyon where Evil Kneivel upset the tender sensibilities of those who hail from Single Drip.

Oh yes, the Redneck is strong in this one.

But my grandparents homesteaded on the edge of the desert on the North side of the canyon, but I actually took to the book larning so I am not as dumb as all that. I do have to say they are some anally impacted sonsabitches down there though.

And I actually have killed most of my lawn so I don't care about that but patchoulli.....I gotta draw the line somewhere.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #8
 
dirtbagkayaker's Avatar
 
Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,602
Banks, but i'd keep on keeping on to hood river or. Just saying.
__________________
Switching to mgtow saved 100% on thot insurance...
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #9
 
Hailey, Idaho
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 23
Might depend on your definition of "town"...

Boise is a city complete with all of the trappings. Banks, on the other hand, is a confluence of two rivers and two highways with a pull out where kayakers high-five and not much else.
Garden Valley is a town in the sense that you might could find a place to rent or a pretty permanent place to park a camper... but it's not like there's much of a main street.
McCall... that would be a town. Stanley, too, although a tiny one. Crouch, too, and they have the Dirty Shame.
UseTheSpinMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #10
 
idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 48
Don't miss Idaho Falls area

Great area for fishing! Many easy floats, but the Alpine section of the Snake is a SUPER FUN class lll spot!
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
access

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EMPLOYMENT as guide for Overnight or day trips in PNW for 2017 season. (Idaho, WA, OR JakeSchipper Whitewater Rafting 6 02-03-2017 09:47 AM
Grand junction town run river access chrisjaquet Rafting | Trip Planner 9 06-16-2015 07:03 AM
Northern Idaho day trips? thebruce50 Kayaking | Trip Planner 8 04-18-2013 09:00 PM
Salmon River day trips near Riggins, Idaho? riverjunky Kayaking | Trip Planner 1 07-20-2012 11:27 PM
Novice River Clinics (One and Two Day Trips) boc123 Commercial Posts 0 04-17-2006 05:27 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.