Best company to guide for? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2013   #1

Avon, of mind?
Best company to guide for?

So, if your life unexpectedly changed a lot, and you found yourself free for a summer, which company would you pick to be a first year guide with? Why?

Things I'd be interested in hearing about (and if I'm missing something on this list let me know!):
1. Who is good to work for (and bad if you had a not-so-great experience)?
2. What should I expect from training?
3. How much could/should a first year guide expect to make per day?
4. What's the best advice you'd give to a new guide? "Before you get into this you should know...."

Cheers - and thanks for the input - see you on the river!

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013   #2

Avon, of mind?
I'm in Colorado (Avon), but feel free to open it up to other areas since it'll be good info for people looking to work or ride with a company.
Old 05-08-2013   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
While in Vail I worked for both Eagle River WhiteWater and Timberline Tours. I didnt much like Timberline's owner but they hire more guides. Not sure if Eagle River is back in business after they merged with Timberline. I heard that they split off again. But I liked them much better. In Durango I liked Mild to Wild and Flexible Flyers. In Beuney, look up Billy Block he owned a company there but I can't remember the name. Real fun guy to party with though.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I can't give you specifics.... but I would recommend Performance Tours, Buffalo Joe's and River Runners for employment in the Ark Valley. Hopefully with the better water situation we see better business than last year and companies are looking to hire new guides..... that said, they should probably be running their training programs right now. You might be a little late for this season as a first year guide in BV.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
A lot of companies have started guide training already. That said check out liquid decent traing. I agree with the river runners suggestion for bv, not sure if they train though.
Slackcountrysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #6

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
ReeferRunners in BV is the most fun place you can possibly work.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
^^ never worked for them but via other guides met Keith a few times.. Not sure if he is still there but one the best boaters I've met
Slackcountrysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #8

rocky mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We start training Monday at 9am. Check out www.coloradorafting.com for details
liquiddescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #9

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I guess it is becoming the norm in many areas, but I say that any company that tells you to pay for some kind of training program should be immediately executed by firing squad.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
I guess it is becoming the norm in many areas, but I say that any company that tells you to pay for some kind of training program should be immediately executed by firing squad.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Any professional outdoor certification costs money, especially one that requires dozens of hours of specific training by a certified professional. $500 per trainee times ten rookies barely covers a company's expenses for training. Raft companies sometimes take advantage and train too many rookies for profit, but an honest company with a fair training class size is reasonable to charge for the class. The certification and skills last a lifetime and are worth it.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote