Best Camping Near Near Sand Wash / Deso - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2019   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Best Camping Near Near Sand Wash / Deso

I am looking for any recommendations for camping or lodging close to the Sand Wash Put-in for Desolation Canyon as I hoping to get there the day before the put-in at an early time to rig. I am coming from Oregon and would like to be past Salt Lake City - ideally within a couple hours of the put-in....any recommendations for swim spots? less bugs? cheap lodging with a pool?

Thanks Buzzards! - Bongo

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have started going to Deso Gray a day before rig day and spending the night in Vernal Utah.

I have stayed at several of the reasonably price Vernal Ut area motels. Do a search as there are plenty there priced for most boater's wallet contents. Also great pizza and Mexican style food for dinner. Only a few hours drive to the put in. Nothing like a nice dinner, good bed, cooked breakfast and shower before hitting Deso Gray.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You might try lodging in Roosevelt, small town close to the Sand Wash turn off. America's Best Value Inn has a pool (no affiliation with the chain).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019   #4

Denver, Colorado
Vernal is a nice spot to spend the night for pre-launching on Deso. Just don't make the same mistake we did a few years ago by trying to purchase your beer there (Utah laws); first and last time I make that mistake. Lots and lots of 3.2 beer and drag bag didn't make a difference, but a great trip none the less.
JFOinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
For camping there are 2 state parks, Strawberry and Starvation reservoirs, with established campgrounds. I stayed at Strawberry years ago so not sure about the facilities. There might be a swimming beach near the marina. There's plenty of disbursed camping along the road on USFS land. You can probably find some adequate sites on the road down to Sand Wash.
Old 06-29-2019   #6

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I have started going to Deso Gray a day before rig day and spending the night in Vernal Utah.

I have stayed at several of the reasonably price Vernal Ut area motels. Do a search as there are plenty there priced for most boater's wallet contents. Also great pizza and Mexican style food for dinner. Only a few hours drive to the put in. Nothing like a nice dinner, good bed, cooked breakfast and shower before hitting Deso Gray.
+1 on what he said.
Old 06-29-2019   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
If you are staying or even just driving through Vernal it is worth stopping at either the 711 Restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Its on main street and one of the best restaurants in town. (and no its not a 7-Eleven) Or hit the Dinosaur Brew Haus also on main street for lunch or dinner.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019   #8

CRG, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1978
Vernal is a great stopover but unfortunately itís a bridge too far coming from western Oregon (assuming Ashland?), unless you are young and want to do a Bataan death march mega trip kind of drive. Plus you have to double back for the road to Sand Wash. Have done the drive from the western Oregon several times and despite what google map says the furthest we can usually get in a comfortable day of driving is Heber City which has a couple of standard hotel selections. Its still a reasonable drive from there to Sand Wash to get there in time to rig, chill and commune with the bugs if you plan on camping there the night before your launch
Another stopover we have considered but never stayed after stopping briefly there for a shower after getting off the river one time is Rivers Edge RV resort a little north of Heber City, it has tent sites and cabins and looked nice.
Further down the road, Duchesne had a couple of motels which looked serviceable but never checked them out and probably a little too far to get to in a comfortable days drive
runnerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019   #9

Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You can rent a screened cabin at sand wash to avoid skeeters:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/234745
marks4runr is offline   Reply With Quote