Best boat ramp/parking designs and features - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Best boat ramp/parking designs and features

Hi folks -

My company is proposing to improve a particularly troublesome boat (rafting/fishing) ramp. Not sure I'm at liberty to say which one, but I know many of you have used it. Besides the ramp re-design, we will also be improving the parking area so that available space is used more efficiently.

I have my own thoughts, but wanted to reach out to get some other opinions.
A couple questions:
1) What features do you appreciate in an efficient ramp design and parking area?
2a) What existing boat ramps/parking areas are your favorite and why?
2b) What existing boat ramps/parking areas do you hate and why?

I appreciate any thoughts you all might have. Cheers!

sonofole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I prefer a ramp that allows you to straighten out your vehicle and trailer before backing down to water. The ramp should be angled down stream for fast water loading/unloading and have an area to tie up while waiting your turn. Parking needs to be pull through accommodating truck and trailer or 2 trucks with circle drive around parking in a perfect world.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The ideal boat ramp would include these features:
1. Clearly marked Staging Areas to get the boat ready to put in the water before pulling onto the ramp. The Carbondale boat ramp is a good example.
2. A ramp that can accomodate more than one trailer. Marked lanes help.
3. A place to move the boat to below the ramp while running shuttle or waiting on last minute bathroom runs.
4. A large parking area that has spaces to indicate how to park for efficiency. The new Eagle county ramps, like at Dotsero, are nice like that. The metal pipes in the gravel create angled lanes. South Canyon and Carbondale ramps are good examples of how the first person to park for the day can screw up a lot of spaces.
5. Signage that lets tourists in RVs know that they are parking in a loading/unloading zone while they run to the bathroom.
6. A clean bathroom.
7. A place to park boats above the ramp (with tie-offs) at takeout until the ramp is clear.
8. A separate area for kids to throw rocks in the water and dogs to chase sticks.
9. No poison ivy.
10. A ramp that you can actually drive down. Shoshone and Big Eddy takeout on Rio Chama suck like that!

An example of a ramp I HATE would be the Whitewater takeout on the Gunnison! It misses every single point.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I prefer a ramp that allows you to straighten out your vehicle and trailer before backing down to water. The ramp should be angled down stream for fast water loading/unloading and have an area to tie up while waiting your turn. Parking needs to be pull through accommodating truck and trailer or 2 trucks with circle drive around parking in a perfect world.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the straight-down, back-down is one of our proposed objectives for this project, as well as parking for truck/trailer in demarcated spaces. This project should also address the downstream angle situation, as we plan to do instream hydraulic modifications to reduce the stream velocity at the ramp location.
sonofole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
1. (Similar to Gremlin’s first point). A few good signs are key. Signs establishing rigging/prep and tie down areas . A sign that says don’t block the flow of traffic. And a sign that says “If there is a line, hurry the [email protected]#* up”.
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Trash service, separate areas for commercials. No bigger shit show than Ruby mountain at low water with the commercials trying to launch 200 boats of bubbas
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
1.place to tie up while running shuttle.
2. pull through >straighten out>back up (see lower pumphouse as example)
3. angled pull-through parking like lower pumphouse
4. designated area for commercials to load their clients
5. launch area for multi-day people would be ideal....somewhere other than at main ramp.
6. designated rig-up area (fisherman and people w/o trailers)
7. should be able to accommodate an F-350 crew cab longbed and a 12' trailer
wack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Wow based on your comments Colorado kind of sounds like a shit show.

I do appreciate ramps that have two different ramps or more in some cases. This helps spread it around. Little Hole on the Green below the dam is one of the best ramps I've seen anywhere, multiple parking areas with 3 boat ramps, some with multiple lanes, docks etc. It's really the multi day crowd that needs the most room and therefore are subject to the wrath of other users that just want to drop n' go.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Fort Collins
I like the ones that have multiple ramps, geared toward different users. I am particularly thinking of smaller craft, like canoes, kayaks and duckies, that don't need as much space as a raft, and are more easily moved onto or away from the water.

State Bridge has one, and Two Bridges on the Colorado has a decent landing spot to the side of the boat ramp for smaller craft.

I once saw a large group of canoers drop a dozen canoes side by side on the boat ramp in Saratoga Wyoming, then leave to run shuttle. They left no room for anyone to get around them, without moving their stuff.

So, considerations for that kind of stuff is good too.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
I take it you are in CO so perhaps you've never been on the Madison in MT. But there is a pretty well designed put it at the take-out for the Bear Canyon section of the Madison. If only people would follow the rules. There is a dedicated rigging lane so people can stage to launch, this launch lane leads directly to the ramp so that you are headed straight back when you turn out of the rigging lane. Then once you have dropped your boat you can pull straight out and in to one of the dedicated trailer parking spaces.

The main problem is keeping all of the summer tourons in tubes from parking wherever they want and blocking the ramp etc.

Here is a google maps link to the boat ramp. Pretty clear in the satellite image.

Google Maps Link
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark