Bare Bone Fishing Raft- what else do i need? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-27-2015   #1
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Bare Bone Fishing Raft- what else do i need?

Hey,

I finally did the deed and bought my first "real" raft. Thanks everyone who helped me bite the bullet....

Looking for advice for add-ons amd essentials that I will need as well as rigging suggestions..... stuff like rod tubes, dry bags, boxes, size of cooler etc... Floor eventually.

Ive taken it out multiple times on the Upper C but can quite figure out what it needs...

13ft RMR with DRE fishing frame. Front and back lean bars. Poly deck w/drop bag beneath front fishermans seat.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Definitely missing a large cooler full of beer. You'll need at least a 120 qt. and a couple of three cases topped off with ice.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
stripping baskets...

One of the things I thought was ridiculous when I first saw them and now realize that they are almost mandatory are stripping baskets for catching your line when standing and fishing...It is amazing how many places your line will catch and hang on while you are trying to fish...

That and drink holders...

LR
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015   #4

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah stripping basket up front. It makes life much easier when you hook up. take a measurement of the interior to see what size cooler you can fit inside the boat. You don't have the room for a dry box with the poly...just dry bags under the poly deck. If you want to do muti day trips you may want to ditch the poly and get a dry box??? You can mount the swivel seat on top the dry box. Captain bay sling/boxes are cool too more storage.
Rod holders are sweet too. You can try to make your own?
GOOD LUCK STEVE
Oh Yeah drink holders!!!!!
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015   #5
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Captains

Photos of your rigs would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely going to do a stripping basket. Phil at DRE laughed at me when I told him instead of spending 160 on one ill just attache a laundry basket... HA!

Still deciding on how i want to do the rod holders- saw a guy with a 14 ft rmr and he had one big 4inch pvc hanging off the side. Seems like tangle city. But with the poly deck it makes it impossible to open and get under the deck with tubes ontop, which is how most are rigged.. any suggestions on that?

What captains slingbox are you talking about? on the sides in the bay where my legs are? How do you rig that?

Thanks for all the help already.... please keep them coming!

Stevo
Old 01-27-2015   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Things I have in my boat when rigged for fishing.

1. Rod holders keep rods from being broken. Rods need to be in you hand or put away. Rods left laying around the boat have short life spans. I use two sections of 1 1/2" x 10 ft PVC pipe strapped to the boat. There is a 3/4" wide slot cut the whole length. There is a 2" wide x 1" Tee slot cut at each end. Each pipe can hold two rods, one placed at each end. The rod slips into the slot and the reel foot slides down into the Tee locking it place.
2. Cooler, your choice
3. Dry box of some kind for easy access, I use a small Action Packer because it fits under the front seat.
4. Long handled net. Long handle lets you reach out over the oars or over the bow of the boat.
5. Bow rope and sturdy sand stake. Z-drag pulleys.
6. First aid kit with hook cutting pliers, patch kit, small tool kit, spare valve, spare oarlock. Things that are a inconvenience if you need them, but a day ruined if you don't have one with you in the boat.
7. Big Cargo bag. I have an 'Everything Bag' that fits the rear bay. All the loose stuff on a trip goes into the big mesh bag and I only have to cinch the top for it all to be secured for a flip. Also keeps all those loose things from tangling lines.
8. Stripping basket? I have one that straps around my waist, sometimes I use it but mostly not. I do make an effort to keep things stowed neat. It is amazing how many potential tangle points are on a typical backpack.
9. I keep a small towel handy to wipe hands and spills, it also works to place over a rough object to create a smooth tangle free surface.
10. PFD with fishing pockets. Pockets big enough for fly boxes tippet spools and junk.
11. Captain's bag. some kind of easy access storage within reach of the rower. For sunglasses, sunscreen permit papers, maps, emergency whistle, wallets and other stuff you need quick access to. I use an ammo can bolted under my seat. Some use a zippered mesh bag that straps between rails. Think of it at a glove box for the raft.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015   #7

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Rod tubes, I rig them at the side of the frame just like a spare oar.
Old 01-27-2015   #8
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
Rod tubes, I rig them at the side of the frame just like a spare oar.
so are the slots on the top? or the side? Would love to see a pic! How to rig the tubes have had me stumped for a while now.
Old 01-27-2015   #9

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
You can get slings to hang ammo cans between the cross bars on either side of your legs in the captains footwell.
ROCKET BOX SLING

Another option I use and really like is a captains bag. Same idea rigged on the cross bars. I really like mine for easy to get to stuff that is ok to get wet.
CAPTAINS STOW BAG
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015   #10

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
The ends of the PVC pipe look like this...
[IMG][/IMG]

The slot is on the top and runs the full length. I attach to the side of my boat in the same position as a spare oar. I cut double slits in the side of the pipe to accept cam straps. I placed the cam strap on the sides so the straps don't interfere with the access to the big slot on top. These are located to take advantage of the D-ring locations on my rubber.

To place a rod inside you hold it reel side up, parallel to the pipe. Let the rod fall into the slot and slide the handle around until the foot of the reel seat slips into the small Tee at the end. The weight of the reel causes it to flop to one side, locking it into the cut out. I add a small loop of bungee that can slide over the butt for extra security.

You can place or remove a rod with one hand.