Banjos - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2016   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Banjos

Since it's the semi off season for some with cabin fever starting to set in I'm wondering if you can tell me of a time when you were out on a river when you thought you were going or you should have heard banjos? What happened and what did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Picked up my uke and played along...
then ran like hell
Old 11-21-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I paddled faster!!
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016   #4

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Forks of the Kern, California:
So a few days before we meant with the mule packers to get our gear down to the river, There was an incident in town (Lake Isabella I beleive) where two men shot a police officer. They then disappeared into the Sequoia National Forest and a man hunt was issued. A day later the getaway vehicle was discovered at a trailhead on the east side of the river; Rincon Trail to be exact. Now Rincon is a very Rugged trail that will bring you near the Forks of the Kern but not easily, Back to the river.
So we launched on a 3 day trip of very amazing, committing class 5 white water. The Forks is about 22 mile of consecutive class 3-5 whitewater, with a 2 mile hike into the remote canyon. The trip was full of all kinds of incidents how ever the first day left us all with questions.
Im not positive the exact location either somewhere near the freeman's or Downhill and Slalom, but we came up on two men, on the east side of the river appearing to be building a raft out of drift wood, their clothes were tattered and dirty and they looked like we surprised them. One of the party went over to talk to them but wasn't given a friendly welcome, and he warned them to be safe and carried on. We had lunch at Durwood lodge (RIP), and we couldn't stop talking about what they were doing, how the hell did they get down here, and most importantly were those the men that the man hunt was issued for? We set up camp a few miles down stream and we discovered we had video of them on a go pro. We decided as a team we should get this footage to the police, so the next day a crazed member of our crew ran up the canyon to a homestead to try to get the footage to local deputies. Once he came back we continued on.

Wen we got back to town we went to the local bar and ran into the two men. They we're thankful to see us as they believed we had saved there lives. They were inexperienced folks went hiking and got incredibly lost. They were rescued by SAR shortly after we had the video delivered. Would have been alot cooler if we caught the guys who shot that police.
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Check out this story, you'll like it.

Shootout At Sang Run - History of the Upper Yough History of the Upper Yough
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016   #6

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I thought you guys might like this story by Burt Reynolds about the infamous scene in Deliverance lol: http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/FIS...thod_way_.html

Old 12-09-2016   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Deliverance and the whole "I hear banjos, paddle faster" marketing gimmick is super fucking lame. Probably the dumbest cliche associated with whitewater.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016   #8

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I view it less as a marketing gimmick and more as a warning to protect yourself. You never know who you are going to run into and before you know it you're squealin like a pig. You probably just jinxed yourself!

Old 12-09-2016   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Now living in Oklahoma, I grew up in North Georgia and was blessed to float many of the amazing streams of the NC, TN, GA area. Some higher power had to look out for us as we had zero skills starting out and just had fun mostly in Grumman canoes and surplus military little rafts .

The movie was indeed something else. Hollywood's version of area tall tales.

The post about protecting yourself is for real. Applies today I think.

At the time the movie was produced, you could drive down to woodall shoals. Like the hwy 76 bridge crossing, woodall was a fun spot to spend the day outside or take out for the boaters who made the run down from the bridge. While boaters knew the run below woodall was dangerous, it was that long paddle across the lake that prompted many of us to take out at woodall. This was a popular spot in the summer time.

At woodall, a group of what we would now call a gang got into it with people hanging out with lunch etc and there were injuries. Local law enforcement got involved big time and the attacks went on for hours till LEO's broke it up. Made the local news outlets big time.

Bottom line here is the movie was a lame but entertaining depiction of one heck of a great river (most of the movie was actually shot on another local dam flow controlled run). The idea of boaters being aware of where they go and taking reasonable steps to take care of them selves is a good thing in my opinion.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's interesting. I think it's totally unnecessary to carry a firearm on the river unless you are in grizzly country, or possibly on a multi-day that has a history or aggressive bears (Desolation). Outside of wildlife issues my experience has been that they generally cause more problems than they solve....

I would be interested in hearing what other buzzard's take on this is. Do you carry a weapon when boating?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote