August Grand Canyon Campsite Competition - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2017   #1

Plano, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
August Grand Canyon Campsite Competition

I have an August Grand Canyon trip coming up in 2018 & I was looking for input regarding competition for campsites; ie. experiences, strategies, etc. Last summer trip I did I seem to remember early morning launches to get the good sites plus negotiating with other groups on the river. Also seem to remember something about commercials sending gear boats downstream to snag good sites.

riverrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017   #2

Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
Yes, correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Yes, correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

No this does not actually take place and is illegal and if you ever catch an outfitter trying to do it you should call them on it. It turns out that rather than hitting the bong all morning, they leave camp by eight. You are absolutely not going to get every camp you want but communicating on the river will definitely help.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2017   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1966
Early mornings

Early starts can't be over estimated. I did a string of trips in the 80's and 90's with a group that put the coffee on before daylight, a little extreme but we would almost always be on the water by 7:30-8. Having an insomniac as the guy in charge of the coffee worked for us. We would camp in places that had a number of miles of calm water so we didn't get splashed that early but the wild life was always amazing. It also freaked the commercials out when we floated by and they were still flipping pancakes. We wanted Poncho's Kitchen one time and launched at first light, we floated by some commercials still in their sleeping bags and they were like shit! these guys don't play fair. We also didn't drift much, these guys liked the feel of oars in their hands, and hiking. We would do a 18 day trip and get 4 or 5 layovers. Knowing where you can make 20-30 miles in a day and where it's a bit slower is good to figure out. Someof the old buzzards would take a nap when we got to camp and the rest of us would do a hike. Line out any people in your group that think it's a vacation, it's a Grand Adventure! Enjoy
jporter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017   #5

Plano, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Thank you great advice & information.
riverrafter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august