ARTA Junior Whitewater School - experiences? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-06-2017   #1

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
ARTA Junior Whitewater School - experiences?

I am planning on sending at least one of my sons to the ARTA Junior Whitewater School on the Rogue River.

Anyone have any experience/opinions regarding this school or the folks running it?

Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017   #2

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
We had a boat wrap on the picket fence a few years ago. The commercial guides from ARTA stopped and did all they could to try and get it off the rocks, even though we ended up leaving the raft on the fence. I think the guy who used to run Paradise Lodge came up and did rescue the boat. I was very impressed with ARTA's attitude and expertise. I love ARTA.
OregonianRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #3
Down in Brazil

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Man way way back in the day must have been around 1999 or so I did my one week guide training with ARTA. It was on the South Fork of the American and East Carlson though but the school is probably similar.

Things change but when I took it I learned so much and had a really positive experience. However many commercial years later I use almost everything I was taught there to this day.

I had guided for a year and IK'ed for many years before so was taking the class just to say I had it really. However, I was surprised at how much I learned with a humble and open mind. My buddy went as a know it all and almost got sent home and said he didn't learn anything(he did have more experience then all the students but still).

Lots of ways to guide but I will leave u with one mystery I wonder each time I hear it that my ARTA guide drilled me on over and over again(besides DONT switch guide sides)

Why do guides say " Left side back and right side forward".

Just say "left turn"! Teach your crew in the warm up left turn is left side back and right side forward and save yourself yelling hundreds of words a trip.

Willow was my guide instructors name. No idea her real name or what's she is doing but she was to date one of the most knowledgeable guides I ever met. Also one of the biggest influences on how I guide today.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017   #4

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
My son got back from his week at the ARTA junior whitewater guide school. He had a great time and learned a ton.

Big thank you to his guide instructors Katie, Shelly, Ayla, Serina and Chloe.

I think the most important thing my son got out of the training was a big boost to his confidence on the river.

He learned a lot about safety, rigging, rowing, camp set-up and tear down, meal planning and conservation. The work they did on flipping, reflipping and swimming rapids was what really boosted his confidence.

Obviously a lot of you teach your own children most of this stuff before they reach their teenage years but I just wanted to put it out there for any of you who might be interested in something like this. There were 7 kids total in the course ( they limit it to 12 I think) so it was a great ratio. Nearly all the kids came from other parts of the country and were picked up at the airport by the ARTA staff. We live nearby so I was able to drop him off and meet the guides.

Great time for him. I would highly recommend it.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #5

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I love left and right turn, but commercial guests often don't get it, and when you have them for a half day, directionals are often optimal. I tried it today on a competent crew, and, "Left side back, right side forward!" was way more effective than "Left turn!"

Only guide from one side is a big mistake.

First, muscles. A season from the right only leads to less seasons in a lifetime.

Second, injury potential. I nearly blew my right knee on the Lower Kern in 2005. I couldn't quit, and I couldn't guide from the right. I wished then I was more comfortable guiding from the left.

Third, optimization: Most of our draws are stronger than our prys. Often we find ourselves prying from the right too much. One of my rookies this year found it easier to guide the Blue from his off (left) side due to the nature of the rapids. I think he's right. I should guide the Blue more from the left.

ARTA sounds awesome!
MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote