Arkansas River - Parkdale to Canon City - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-29-2018   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Arkansas River - Parkdale to Canon City

Maybe someone posted this already, but I did this run on Saturday and there were 2 significant changes:

1) The take-out at Pink House is private and gated again! This was a State Park landing last year, if I'm not mistaken. I think the best take-out available is the City park.

2) There is a new feature just above the City park. There is a big red sign that says, "Scout river right," but of course I thought, "I used to do this all the time, I don't need to scout it." Then I saw the only passable spot (at least for a 14' raft) is far river right and we missed it...then got high-centered on the new rocks in the middle.

COEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018   #2

colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
You are correct on Pink House. AHRA no longer has a lease with Ann Brown

That leaves private boater's three options for takeout when doing Parkdale to Canon City:

Centennial Park - Its a narrow ramp, maybe one or two boats. The city has been doing construction there. My opinion, its OK if you want to carry your boat up to set on the grass, but if you got a trailer, it really sucks.

River Station - this is just past the 4th street viaduct and after you run the play wave. There are two big ramps on the left. AHRA has a lease there now and both privates and commercial can take out here. Outfitters may try to tell you it is commercial only, which is BS. Tell them to grab a ranger if they don't like it. This is a great ramp with plenty of room for everyone - just like Pink House.

Raynolds Bridge - further downstream. If you don't mind the extra time floating through town, its an OK ramp on river right just past the bridge. Not real wide if there are privates and commercial outfitters taking out.

Personally, I am using River Station until AHRA says it is no longer an option.

Hope this helps.
gmartin1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas, arkansas river