Arkansas Below Stone Bridge for Kids - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2017   #1

Arkansas Below Stone Bridge for Kids

Hey - I'm thinking of taking a young kid on the Arkansas below Stone Bridge. From what I can tell it's more or less flat water. Is there anything to be worried about on that stretch? Thanks.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #2
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Although I know someone who had a nasty wrap on the steel bridge down below the put in, in general I think this is a great float for kiddos. Have fun!
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #3

Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Just did big bend (just below stone bridge) all the way to rincon yesterday. The stretch you are talking about was a breeze. But like all river navigation there is always snags and obstacles to watch out for. The flow was around 700. Salida to rincon was a bit faster pace but nothing crazy.
Swervejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The diversion dam is deadly, passage is on the left. It's almost right under the smoke stack. All kinds of signage yet there is still an occasional incident. The playholes in the whitewater park in town can be deceptively strong at higher flows (like 2K or so and up), the one at the boat ramp flips boats often during spring runoff. Bear Creek also flips unwary boaters starting at 2K cfs. Otherwise it is very straight forward, if you are paying attention you shouldn't have issues.

How young is the kid?
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #5

Thanks for the info guys. The kid is 4 - I've taken him on filter plant and pumphouse last year. I'm confident in my abilities on that stretch - just making sure there aren't any surprises.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
4 is too young for the Ark during high water on any stretch. If you stick to summer flows and avoid spring run off you'll be fine.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
4 is too young for the Ark during high water on any stretch. If you stick to summer flows and avoid spring run off you'll be fine.
We are not at high water yet. I have many friends who float Big Bend to Salida and Salida East to Rincon with their young children (including 4 year olds and younger) best to have some kind of safety boater with you just in case, but anything below around 2k is pretty mellow. One straight forward III in Rincon and the boat chute around the dam in Big Bend and the whitewater park are the only real features of note.

1190 cfs on the Wellsville gauge this morning, which is a fantastic flow for a family float.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas