Wondering what the differences are and what the perks are of working at each

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

JakeSchipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017   #2

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Pretty much like asking is nrs or hyside better, both are top notch companies and you can't go wrong either way.
AOTG=tons of money, super nice facilities, everything is maintained very well and nice. Close to town, much shorter Gauley shuttle, great guides to work with, they can keep you busy. Great restaurant and bar on property. Shuttle for new river is close and easy, not a lot of bus time.
ACE=they are down in the little town of minden, so much more isolated. During high water the put in for the new river is on property, super short shuttle, Gauley shuttle sucks 1 hour plus each way, best lower Gauley take out saves on several miles of flat water. Lots of money and great facilities, everything maintained nice a great equipment. Restaurant and bar on property, but a big advantage is the campground. It's huge as in 1700 acres or something, all guides live in sunset (on property) so it's guide village, cuts down on the drinking and driving, free camping but most guides tend to be more isolated because everything is their they tend to not leave the property. They also do a lot of other stuff on property, climbing trips zip line paint ball mt. Bike if you have skills in these areas or want to learn them they are all about cross training guides. I can't even remember how many miles of trail their are on property but it's a lot.

One thing to remember it's way different then Colorado. One trip a day, you will know your schedule at the beginning of the week, but these places are huge with 100 plus guides on staff so they don't tend to put up with things like being late or giving away trips a lot, or just being a dumbass. Matter of fact at ace if your late by 2 minutes your bumped for the day, do it three times and your out of a job. If you want to take a weekend day of during Gauley season you have to take the whole week off.

Look at their websites, see what's the best fit, if your doing it it's always better to show up in the spring before all the trainees in may. You can't go wrong with either company
Critter70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #3

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Thanks critter70 you're always super helpful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017   #4

Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
Not sure about AGOT but can speak about ACE, who acquired my fav rafting company in the state, North American River Runners sometime ago. Spent several weeks in the area each summer growing up. The staff at NARR was the best in the business before they were acquired by ACE. Many of the NARR people transitioned there and worked with them for multiple seasons when I was around. The facility is enormous, but also well done. Spread out over a big area relieves congestion, but there is no reason to need much off property. Go set up on one of the many trails and be as secluded as you want. The adventure park is like a water park everywhere else and is the center of the facility. Great place to spend a season doing what you love and being outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #5

FOCO, Colorado
Just an FYI, If your looking for work that way, my Facebook page is blowing up with ACE ads looking for river and climbing guides.
Old 03-14-2017   #6

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I actually got offered a job at both and I was trying to see what each place offers

Old 03-14-2017   #7

FOCO, Colorado
Sweet, you'll have an awesome time. Pack your shit and head that way. You gotta make the choice for yourself, I will say Ace was a home to me for a lot of years, the closest friends I have in life are the ones I lived with there. Something about working, playing, and living together that makes for those life long bonds. Hell im looking at heading to Cali to work because of a homie I met at Ace in like 94 or something. Hope you have a great summer, play hard, be safe you will love it no matter your choice.
Old 03-14-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Pepperoni rolls
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote