Anyone have comments on this interesting rafting technique? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-29-2005   #1

Anyone have comments on this interesting rafting technique?

This is an interesting rafting technique. The two guys in front are leaning way forward in the raft to act as ballast to punch the wave. I guess it makes sense and it looks like it works.

But, I wonder, if these people are really enjoying the water that much, shouldn't they be in a kayak?

This run is the Upper Lochsa. I got this from http://www.kayaking.peak.org/public_...er_lochsa.html.
More stories like this from http://www.kayaking.peak.org/riverframe.html

stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
looks like huge fun and really, a pretty standard technique for experienced rafters. the premature highside/paddle dig is a good way to go when blasting steep hefty waves. and no, they shoudnt be in a kayak. you cant see the cooler full of beer buried in the water in the middle of the raft.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #3

Rubber is definitely the wrong tool. What a great pic, though. That wave is aching to be surfed by a long, fast, sparkly fiberglass boat.
sgbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird
you cant see the cooler full of beer buried in the water in the middle of the raft.
Yeah, but you can just get your chump buddy who cant roll to carry the cooler, shile you surf the spot that was only accesable from the eddy that the raft didn't even notice let alone think about catching.

Cant wait for the Middle fork, Zach.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

boy is it going to be cold rolling for those beers that your chump buddy (who actually can roll) is carrying.

i could wait a couple weeks. just found out fishing is closed until mem. day weekend. cant believe i am going to haul smelly gear, in snow, on the middlefork, and i cant even fish..........legally(oops, did i write that out loud?). WTF!!
Old 04-30-2005   #6

Salida, Colorado
Actually....

Actually there is a plastic maggot klingon rolling for beer in the frame....
under the raft. Trust me when all you youngs bucks rotator cuffs are chopped liver you'll very likely find yourself enjoying your retirement years
in a large soft boat being very social with class III shuttle bunnies you were too gnarly rad to even talk to in your younger daze.
Old 04-30-2005   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Whip: I am disapointed. I expected a much more sarcastic retort.

Zach: Kieth is the rafter with no roll, as well as the one who will be "trusted " with most of the libations.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #8

Salida, Colorado
Compensating for my inadequacies with my maladaptive personality disorder. Sure is hard to get flamed here did I mention that chunderboy is my cousin?
Old 04-30-2005   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

poor kieth. he's haulin your shit and you are callin him a chump, low man real low. might not want to trust him once i tell him whats going on. those oars on your raft are short but they are plenty long enough to fend off pirates trying to get at the tap. bet we could get him to roll if we strapped a couple pfd's on him. he'd work like a foamie.
Old 04-30-2005   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Damn, ZB - pretty harsh aren't you? I hope the guy deserves more credit than that!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting