Anyone ever pepper sauté a skunk? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2015   #1

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Anyone ever pepper sauté a skunk?

Sounds delicious, they are very abundant around camp too. Open to any better cooking methods with these tender critters.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015   #2
Caw! Caw!

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I would only saute a young, tender skunk. For old gristly battleskunks, slow braising is the only way.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #3

aurora, Colorado
gotta use a rome square dutch oven, aluminum.
Hard anodized, of course.

What kind of cooler for the leftovers?
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What i learned from the local coonass population in biloxi as a child, was that blackend red fish is delicious! A cooking method created for the bigger, tougher fish. Why not use it on skunk?
Maybe remove the scent glands like some people do with deer?

And yes, coonass is a technical term, similar to cajun, they called themselves coonasse's when i lived there.
Old 09-18-2015   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
What i learned from the local coonass population in biloxi as a child, was that blackend red fish is delicious! A cooking method created for the bigger, tougher fish. Why not use it on skunk?
Maybe remove the scent glands like some people do with deer?

And yes, coonass is a technical term, similar to cajun, they called themselves coonasse's when i lived there.
So the joke about Louisiana and the coonasses goes:

"You go to a regular zoo, and at each animal display is a little plaque stating the animal's common name, the latin name, and then there's a paragraph about the animal's habitat, lifestyle, mating habits, etc.

At the Louisiana State Zoo, there's a little plaque stating the animal's common name, the coonass name, and then there's the recipe."

The summer after high school I worked as a painter on the rigs offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, usually flying out of Houma. There'd be about 12 guys packed into a Vietnam surplus Huey chopper, painted yellow and blue so they could find them easily when they went down, and we'd fly for about an hour over the swamps and bayous before passing over the muddy coastline and heading out another hour or two to the rigs. Flying over miles and miles of nothing but swamps and bayous. Then in the middle of the swamps would be a little shanty with a dock and a couple of boats tied up, in a place leagues past the end of the arable earth. Talk about subsistance and nothing more, going hunting and eating anything they could to keep from starving. I guess it was the only land left by the time the Acadians finished their trek down from Quebec.

Continuing the digression, it's not quite accurate, but here's one story of how the Acadians became the Cajuns:

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote