anybody ever put Drings on Pelican case? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-23-2012   #1

rockingham, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1977
I want to have my Pelican case mounted next to me for easy access while rowing. It would be cool to mount it where I could tuck an oar, flip it open, shoot a few shots, and get it waterproof again before the next move. It is my camera locker for DSLR and lenses. Has anyone expiramented with attaching D rings or some other type of tie down points to a Pelican? How cool would it be to buy a couple of premade patches with the rings attached that the raft companies sell? Anybody have any . what base material and what type of glue would work.

Thanks,
Joe

twoatlow8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here's some pics of what I did with mine. I've been using this pelican as my camera case for years and it works fantastic. Exactly what you describe....very secure, quick to open, snap your shots, and quickly stow the camera again. I just went to Home Depot and found the right length metal threaded rod, drilled holes in the back "fin" on the Pelican and threaded the rod through. I just put some gorilla tape over the ends. Been meaning to cut the ends off with a hacksaw, just never got around to it. I secure the case with a cam strap through the back rod and another through the front handle. Holds very secure and no straps to un-do to get into the case.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I did a couple boxes with footman loops. It penetrates the case so you have to be sure where it penetrates is not going to wear out whatever is inside the case. Used 10-24 screws, neoprene washers, acorn nuts, and blue loctite

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1936574047.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	996.3 KB
ID:	5430
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
I have a setup like cataraftgirl, but use a single strap looped under my sideboard and through the handle and bolt gap. NRS recommends Gflex epoxy if you decide to go the D-ring route. The bolt I used is about $0.99 at Ace, and I found one that basically doesn't leave any exposed threads.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #5

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
I did a couple boxes with footman loops. It penetrates the case so you have to be sure where it penetrates is not going to wear out whatever is inside the case. Used 10-24 screws, neoprene washers, acorn nuts, and blue loctite

Attachment 5430
Seems like that would cause leak potential. I would drill into those flat risers like Cataraftgirl did, but I would go to Lowes, and get some small stainless steel shackles.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I considered that but neoprene washers are pretty reliable. At least as reliable as the neoprene gasket in the lid

That and i keep my boat rightside up
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Here's some pics of what I did with mine. I've been using this pelican as my camera case for years and it works fantastic. Exactly what you describe....very secure, quick to open, snap your shots, and quickly stow the camera again. I just went to Home Depot and found the right length metal threaded rod, drilled holes in the back "fin" on the Pelican and threaded the rod through. I just put some gorilla tape over the ends. Been meaning to cut the ends off with a hacksaw, just never got around to it. I secure the case with a cam strap through the back rod and another through the front handle. Holds very secure and no straps to un-do to get into the case.
KJ
Very nicely done...getting out the drill as we speak!
Old 12-24-2012   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've put Drinks on a Pelican case.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Very nicely done...getting out the drill as we speak!
It's a super easy modification, and mine has held up great for about 6-7 years now. I crank pretty tight on the straps to prevent any movement and I've seen no bending of the rod or cracking in the case. I really need to trim the ends off the rod, but the gorilla tape has been on there so long without coming off that I just let it go.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
It's a super easy modification, and mine has held up great for about 6-7 years now. I crank pretty tight on the straps to prevent any movement and I've seen no bending of the rod or cracking in the case. I really need to trim the ends off the rod, but the gorilla tape has been on there so long without coming off that I just let it go.
KJ
I recently smoothed the edges of some all-thread with a dremel. Smooth as butter.