Anybody ever hiked out the Whitmore Trail? Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 12-05-2016   #1

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Anybody ever hiked out the Whitmore Trail? Grand Canyon

Does anyone have any experience leaving a private trip via a hike-out at the Whitmore Trail? There's a heli-pad there but there also appears to be a trail to the Bar 10 Ranch, which is the same place the heli usually goes to I believe.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016   #2

The hike out to the parking area is not difficult and only takes about 45 minutes but you would need bar 10 to come pick you up from there and fly you out to either marble Canyon or Las Vegas.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016   #3

cedar city, Utah
I will double check with my buddy but I know they drove the road in the past and have hiked down from the trailhead. He says its worse than the road to Toroweap and they lost multiple tires to flats last time. If i remember right its less than 80 miles from St George but can take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on time of year, when they have last graded the main roads and timing of last rains. The exposed rock in those roads shred plenty of tires. Worst section is last 10-ish miles by the ranch.

The people i know who explore remote trails and trailheads in the Arizona Strip have relied heavily on side-by-sides more than factory-equipped trucks/SUVs. The
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Last year we shared our dinner with an older, female hiker who had come down from there for a couple of nights on the river. She had a high clearance vehicle and said it was slow going on the road but otherwise OK; very quick hike to the top.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016   #5

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
In 1981 we hiked out a passenger and carried rocket boxes full of trash up the Whitmore trail. Not something I would do today but we were young, strong and poor in those days. We did a 23 day trip with 4 kayaks and two small 14 foot rafts. We spotted a car on the rim on our way to Lee's Ferry but it takes a while to do it this way.

As mentioned the road in is pretty rough with exposed lava rock the last few miles from the Bar 10, but can be done in a vehicle with good tries, driven carefully.

I have been over there many times and never had a problem. Be prepared for breakdowns, not much traffic out on the strip. I spend quite a bit of time on the strip and always carry two spares. No cell service over most of the area.

I wouldn't even think about going in from the Colorado City side in the winter or spring. There is a very steep one lane climb outside of Bundyville.

There is an airstrip at the Bar 10. The commercial outfitters fly their passengers out almost daily in the summer, nothing going on until March.

Contact the folks at the Bar 10 and see if you could arrange to be picked up.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote