Anchor system for raft frame - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-05-2007   #1
spf
 
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 33
Anchor system for raft frame

I'm contemplating getting the anchor system for my Downriver frame.
They want $600.
Is it worth it?
I mostly float the Ark, Gunni, Lower Taylor, CO (Pumphouse-Dotsero), and Grey Reef.
I'm wondering how effective the anchor really is...one guy I chatted w on the Ark told me he thought it was a waste of money. His setup weighed a lot though- he had the full fishing frame w floors and all the gadgetry.
I'd like to be able to catch an eddy, drop anchor and make a few casts when I'm rowing, as opposed to just being the slave.

spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2007   #2
 
DurangoSteve's Avatar
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,907
I don't know about Downriver's anchor system specifically, but you'll catch a lot more fish if you can anchor... particularly if you're the ONLY person rowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spf View Post
I'm contemplating getting the anchor system for my Downriver frame.
They want $600.
Is it worth it?
I mostly float the Ark, Gunni, Lower Taylor, CO (Pumphouse-Dotsero), and Grey Reef.
I'm wondering how effective the anchor really is...one guy I chatted w on the Ark told me he thought it was a waste of money. His setup weighed a lot though- he had the full fishing frame w floors and all the gadgetry.
I'd like to be able to catch an eddy, drop anchor and make a few casts when I'm rowing, as opposed to just being the slave.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #3
spf
 
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 33
...I forgot to mention that I have a 14' self bailer, and I usually have 2 other people, a dog, and "refreshments" loaded. I'm wondering if an anchor will actually hold a boat in anything other than calm water.
spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2007   #4
 
four corners, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 102
Anchor

I fly-fish out of my 14 foot cataraft and my drift boat. If you want to fish by yourself, get an anchor. $600 sounds really expensive for an anchor system. Check with Hyde dift boats and WaterReady frames. My water ready frame for my cat is great for fishing.

Heres the link for HYDE Boat accesories.

Shop @ Hyde

bs
bshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #5
 
Andy H.'s Avatar
 
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,619
I'm not a fisherman but know NRS also has an anchor system, or you could just get a cleat and rig something at home. It can't be THAT complicated to toss a hunk of lead into the water and tie off, can it?
__________________
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #6
spf
 
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 33
The problem is the DR frame tubes are a much larger outside diameter than NRS's.
So, you can't interchange cheaper stuff.
Also, you need to bore out the T fitting inside corners to get them to slide around the 90 degree bends on the frame tubes, then you need to bend the tubes to the right angles to provide a solid platform to pivot the anchor off.
There's a lot of force to displace.
I havent come up w a cost effective way to do it...it really pains me to have to drop that kind of $ on this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I'm not a fisherman but know NRS also has an anchor system, or you could just get a cleat and rig something at home. It can't be THAT complicated to toss a hunk of lead into the water and tie off, can it?
spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #7
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by spf View Post
The problem is the DR frame tubes are a much larger outside diameter than NRS's.
So, you can't interchange cheaper stuff.
Also, you need to bore out the T fitting inside corners to get them to slide around the 90 degree bends on the frame tubes, then you need to bend the tubes to the right angles to provide a solid platform to pivot the anchor off.
There's a lot of force to displace.
I havent come up w a cost effective way to do it...it really pains me to have to drop that kind of $ on this.
so what exactly are you getting for $600? that price sounds ridiculous when compared to nrs's $200+ with a anchor! that's a real bummer.

do you already have the stern seat frame to drop off of or not?
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #8
spf
 
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 33
$600 includes the stern seat frame, and the pulley/cleat.
-I paid $500 for the frame itself...a used 4 bay from BOC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
so what exactly are you getting for $600? that price sounds ridiculous when compared to nrs's $200+ with a anchor! that's a real bummer.

do you already have the stern seat frame to drop off of or not?
spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #9
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by spf View Post
$600 includes the stern seat frame, and the pulley/cleat.
-I paid $500 for the frame itself...a used 4 bay from BOC.
gotcha. makes more sense now. nrs will run you $450 or so for a similar set up so sounds about right for DRE frames. they have always run abit higher. very good stuff though.

the stern seats are swanky to use, btw. a great way to pimp your ride and really nice to use when fishing. same with a anchor.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #10
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113
The anchor will only work like on a dory when you are in a eddy. A raft catches too much water surface for an anchor to stop it in a run. It will slow the raft where it would be ok (marginally) on the reef but the Gunnison moves faster and won't be of use except for back eddies.

My raft has an anchor tied to the raft (fixed 10') and the only thing you pay for with the DRE setup is to have the rope at the rower's feet like on a dory and you can control your slack in the eddy.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
rafting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooler frame for paddle raft? brendodendo Whitewater Rafting 12 04-09-2009 12:05 AM
Homemade Wooden Raft Frame pcrawford Whitewater Rafting 9 07-08-2007 10:23 AM
WestWater 4/22/07 Overnight Gear-Oar Frame raft in need of a space kayaked56 Rafting | Trip Planner 0 04-09-2007 09:03 PM
Positioning frame on a raft caverdan Whitewater Rafting 6 04-07-2007 01:26 PM
Raft w/ oar frame rental dan_d Whitewater Rafting 4 05-11-2006 11:39 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.