Ammo boxes and aluminum frames - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2017   #1

Co Springs, Colorado
Ammo boxes and aluminum frames

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or input on having metal rocket boxes in a DRE/aluminum frame. I want a couple boxes for organization (dry boxes are chaos!), but it seems like over time the metal would F up the aluminum frame, no matter how tight you had everything locked down.

On a related note, does anyone make a plastic/composite version of the classic rocket box? Seems like the ideal dimensions, given how hard they are to find.

Thanks

MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017   #2

We've used metal ammo boxes on our aluminum frame for 10 years with no negative effects on the frame.

The metal ammo boxes hold up really well too, we put a coat of paint on the outside of them every couple years to keep them looking fresh and it gives us the ability to color code so nobody grabs the groover when they wanted the kitchen box.

Never used plastic boxes, like pelicans, but have some river friends that swear by them. Too cost prohibitive in my opinion.

SD
mountaingirlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017   #3

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
put peel and stick foam on the bottom of the boxes...will help keep from tearing up your floor
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017   #4

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Cabelas sells a plastic version of the ammo box for $10. No experience with it.

Cabela's Universal Storage Box : Cabela's

It does say Water ' Resistant ' rather than water ' proof ' which is a little scary..
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
They send ammo in those sometimes if you buy in bulk- I'm not even sure I'd call them water resistant- there is nothing to seal the lid, its just plastic on plastic. I use one to organize junk in my car.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've never had much trouble with steel boxes vs aluminum frame.

A couple of thoughts for you, though:
-At 20lb or so empty, rockets are pretty darn heavy simply for use as dry storage.

-I love milk crates directly in a drop bag for many items that I used to put in a dry box or ammo can: canned goods, for one.

-I totally agree on the chaos of the big silver box. One way I've tamed them slightly is to use bulk food boxes (like when you buy Oreos, or whatever, at Costco) in the drybox as modular/customizable dividers for things like staples, spices or "kitchen drawer" crap.

- Another box tamer is that I have also started bagging groceries for meals together in the box, sometimes. It's nice to not have to go hunt for the garlic bread, caesar dressing, pasta, sauce, etc. . .all buried throughout the box. Instead, grab the grocery bag labeled "Night 2- Spaghetti". It's not quite as space efficient that way, though, so that's a downside.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote