Alsek Tatshenshini 2017 trip advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-03-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Alsek Tatshenshini 2017 trip advice

This trip has been a dream of mine for a while and I finally scored a permit for Aug. 2017. So now is the time when I have to start working out the details and figuring out cost so that I can get a few friends together to drop some cash and time to make this trip a reality. I have done some research and will be pouring through previous threads and other internet knowledge this week but I still thought I would throw this up here. Thanks in advance for any info.

Im looking for advice and information that will help me plan this trip. More specifically:

Boat/gear rental advice? Outfitters you recommend or dont recommend?

Flight charters/shuttle companies? Who to call to get info on cost of flights?

Take out protocol? the atv's that have to be hired and the flight out?

How many days to do the trip? layover recommendations?

Any special gear we should bring?

Dealing with the bears? dealing with weather?

What is a reasonable cost estimate per person for this trip?

Any other thoughtful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tres

Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Bear Spray! Lots and lots of Bear Spray.
ob1coby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Electric fence, see video

https://youtu.be/Sv2G-aRDvyY
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Cloudburst Productions puts out an excellent guide book that will answer just about all your questions. Stan Boor rents gear out of Haines if you stage your trip there. Not sure about Whitehorse, Yukon. I liked renting the twin turbo Hawker on my first trip, plenty of room for everyone's gear and 15 people, but that's only if you stage out of Whitehorse.

Both trips I've been on were about $1200. Per person with 15 peeps, though we didn't rent gear. That included paying mileage and the drivers expenses to haul everything up there and back.

I brought my Chota knee high boots and was happy I did. Bring quality rain gear, more food than you would normally--people eat more when it's cold.

If you go out of Haines, you can preorder food supplies in advance of your trip at the grocery store there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I too have a Aug 2017 permit (Aug 20). Probably hauling gear up from Salmon, Boise, Missoula and Helena. Maybe we could coordinate gear up or back?
washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by washoe99 View Post
I too have a Aug 2017 permit (Aug 20). Probably hauling gear up from Salmon, Boise, Missoula and Helena. Maybe we could coordinate gear up or back?
My take out is for Aug 21st, so yea, we can coordinate. Im in Colorado and dont know if anyone in my group wants to drive up there so I might be renting rafts/gear. But Ill message you, Tres
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
This trip has been a dream of mine for a while and I finally scored a permit for Aug. 2017. So now is the time when I have to start working out the details and figuring out cost so that I can get a few friends together to drop some cash and time to make this trip a reality. I have done some research and will be pouring through previous threads and other internet knowledge this week but I still thought I would throw this up here. Thanks in advance for any info.

Im looking for advice and information that will help me plan this trip. More specifically:

Boat/gear rental advice? Outfitters you recommend or dont recommend?

Flight charters/shuttle companies? Who to call to get info on cost of flights?

Take out protocol? the atv's that have to be hired and the flight out?

How many days to do the trip? layover recommendations?

Any special gear we should bring?

Dealing with the bears? dealing with weather?

What is a reasonable cost estimate per person for this trip?

Any other thoughtful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tres

It might help either you or Washoe99 to plan your trip by inviting me!
ob1coby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #8

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I only ran the Tat, not the Alsek, but somethings are all the same in the end.

I know its not legal for the trip, but I'd bring a shotgun. We never had a bear incident, but we did have them in and around our camps.... we had bear spray but looking back on the trip, I wish we had it. Maybe I'm wrong on that thought, dunno....

Bring serious cold wet gear. Dry suits and lots of layers. We brought fly fishing chest waders for hanging around camp on rainy days as well. That was a good piece of gear. I'd bring a couple cheap plastic ponchos as back up, extra rain proofing as well.

We always collected firewood as we floated, just in case we got to a camp where drift wood was scarce. It was never needed, but would of sucked to get to camp on a rainy day and not have wood.

I would bring a gill net and try to catch a few salmon with it. Is that legal? I dunno, so check first, but I reckon you can get a fresh fish or two. Way too silty to fish the main river. We never hiked the creeks to fish, maybe should of, but bears and laziness win sometimes.

Be sure to lay over at the lake. The icebergs are amazing. Being on the Alsek first, you'll have a different experience than our trip, but I still think that floating around the icebergs would be amazing even after doing some more intense whitewater.

Did I mention bears... do everything you can to be bear safe.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #9

You could try to bring a firearm. Wouldn't that suck if you got caught though. Everyone's trip could be over. Canada has a very strict stance on firearms. They are not allowed in the world heritage park.

On 3 rafting trips, we never had any issues with habituated brown bears. Saw dozens of bears.

Keep in mind that Canada also has VERY strict rules on allowing ex felons and convicted dui peeps in.

Old 01-03-2017   #10

On a chitna, copper trip, someone legally brought a shotgun. But that wasn't in a park. He also filed the proper paperwork.

When you cross the border into AK, or from Canada into the US, customs do not fuck around. I would never chance bringing in a weapon, or marijuana, etc.

You're prison time may vary...