Airhead IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2017   #1
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Airhead IK

Not sure if this is the best place to put this thread. But I was wondering if anybody has any experience using these types of inflatable kayaks. My friends took them down the San Juan from MH to CH at 8000cfs and didn't seem to have any problems. I'm wondering if these will do for low-water Arkansas trips.

And the input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHTK-.../dp/B000FE7INI

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Peter, these tandems are not whitewater inflatable kayakes. If you study the spec sheets real careful they are not self-bailing and are designed for lakes and maybe Class II riffles at best. Pretty solid inflatable as far as material and seats go (highback seats a must in any inflateable), but just not the best option for you. Price is really cheap too, but you get what you pay for. Tandems are really hard to manuever in technical water, but this one is fairly light. Stick with Tomcat IK's or check into SeaEagles or another brand for better options. Still running the Taylor but flows to go down to 300 in the next week so time is short my man. Later!!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017   #3

I watched one of those rap on the pylon of the bridge in downtown Salida during the FibArk not less than 10 seconds after they left the eddie at the wave after putting in. Was obviously not river worthy and looked dangerous before they even left the landing and they were still seen swimming as far as I could see in the horizon below the bridge. Get an IK.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Rule of thumb: You get what you pay for. If you want a true whitewater IK spend a little dough on the real thing.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017   #5

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Second the tomcat. Skip the sea eagle. They're an el Camino. Yes I'm a chevy guy for any offended by the reference. They do a lot, but none of it is done well. Have an older 300 Explorer. Not a great whitewater boat. Passable in class III, at best. Watch craigslist. Got my solo tomcat for half of new.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Aire Tributary Tomcats are really a great "bargain" boat. Yes, they are 600 bucks brand new, but they are a higher quality entry level boat that you can paddle moderate whitewater in. I haven't seen any below that price point I'd recommend for whitewater.