AIRE Raft Material Bombproof???? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2007   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
AIRE Raft Material Bombproof????

This last spring I purchased an new 16' Aire Jag cat. I'm having problems with the material under my frame. This past summer I have gotten out on the raft alot, probably 500 miles. I have taking extremely good care of this boat. When I went to take it apart last weekend for the winter, I noticed hundreds of little pinhole-sized holes in the top layer of the PVC material where my frame rests. Has any other Aire rafts owners experienced this same problem??? I'm pretty salty about the whole deal, this thing is my bitch. I am currently talking with Aire about this, but would like to know if this is an isolated situation, or a common problem with their "Ferrari" pvc material.

Thanks,
Dan

DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007   #2

on your sister, ...
yeah, hate to break it to you but pvc is the least, by far, durable of all the raft material types. does not surprise me.

i owned one 4-5 years ago and was never impressed how easy it was to scratch up vs. hypalon or urethane.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #3
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I can't scientifically speak to the durability of the PVC but I have been using Aire rafts since 92' and have NEVER had a rip, tear, blowout, or anything. And 10 of those years were using the rafts commercially on the upper and lower animas and piedra.

Are there any welds on your frame that are rough?

One of the greatest things about Aire is that they have an unconditional 10 year warranty. I called the factory this year to ask about the warranty and was told it is completely unconditional on all models except one of their new cheap lines. Just as an example I asked if the warranty would fix my raft if it came partially off my trailer and got a hole from dragging down the road. He said yes.

I would call them and see what they say. Since your raft was bought new I would think you are safe.

If you call them please follow up on here so we know the real scoop with their warranty.

Good luck.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007   #4

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Cosmetics

Since the outer material does not hold air and is basically just a shell it should not matter too much, except cosmetically. We run Aire boats commercially and have had great luck with them, both performance and durability wise. Chicks dig scars, even on boats.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Mut,

The frame I have is aluminum, no welds, no rough spots. Aire tells me that they are "normal" holes caused by air entrapped in the pvc material when it is sprayed over the nylon sheet during the manufacturing process. I can understand that, but it does not seem normal. My opinion is that these holes are reducing the surface area of the pvc on the top of the tubes, whether the pvc holds air or not, it has to compromise the strength of the pvc. I'm just not happy about having a new boat, with holes on it, normal or not.
Old 10-12-2007   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
why dont you take a picture and send it to aire and then see what they say. i have never seen anything like that on our aires.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
I have sent several photos to them. They still say normal wear. Normal wear on cat tubes is generally gray marks left from the frame, especially aluminum frames. These are tiny little holes. When I first too the tubes off and noticed them, I thought it was just abrasion from the bottom of my frame. My buddy noticed a tiny rock wedged in one of the holes. These rocks have embedded into the fabric leaving hundreds of little tiny holes. Most are very small, some are 1-2mm in diameter.
Old 10-12-2007   #8

Durango, Colorado
Why don't you just add another layer of PVC strips where your frame rests on the tubes?
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
They will peel. Besides, it a new boat and shouldn't need chafe strips if the material is as strong as they say it is. You should only glue hypalon, pvc patches should generally be welded on.
Old 10-12-2007   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
can you post a pic here?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire, rafting